The Nikon V3 announced and 70-300 VR for the 1 system

Real Name
Dan
...What I'm talking about is the ability to use a shorter, but optically better lens on a smaller, denser sensor and still achieve approximately the same IQ. That's what the V3 is all about, IMO...
That's a valid strategy. If you replace the "approximately the same IQ" with "acceptable IQ" I'd even agree with you.

Different tools for different purposes. The 1 series has its place as do the other formats. And life is full of compromises.

That's a valid strategy. If you replace the "approximately the same IQ" with "acceptable IQ" I'd even agree with you.

Different tools for different purposes. The 1 series has its place as do the other formats. And life is full of compromises.

If I agree with you more than 1000% I would. I certainly have found a good place my new V3 in "long distance video", this is simply something that would not have worked with my D7100 or D800, I don't think. As others have noted, small and light for easy travel, I just did that this past weekend, my first attempt at somewhat unobtrusive street photography as well, now I just need to learn how to do it, at least half-way well. Certainly not my "go to" in low light, but with careful processing you can still get some pretty good stuff up to ISO 3200, same as you could with the D300.

I simply don't understand why people continue to argue the "IQ" issues so vociferously. What we have now with all these is so far and above what we could do just 5-10 years ago, let alone in the old film days, that it seems a bit silly to me. You may as well argue the relative merits of a Ferrari vs. a Yugo, they will both get you where you need to go. Well, maybe not in the case of the Yugo, let's pick a Ford Focus instead ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply don't understand why people continue to argue the "IQ" issues so vociferously.

quoted for truth.
here's some with the lowly V1 and a couple of a very pretty lady with the AW1 and a kit lens.
could i have pulled better IQ out of a d800 or the EM1 ? no question. is that an issue? not in the slightest.

oh...and try hitting those RC's running full tilt with a d800...not a hope in hell.

10167036365_b63829a24e_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by .Chris.K, on Flickr

10243547683_45c7f9e987_b.jpg

10342085674_9a39d7a4df_b.jpg

13992166934_320b75466b_b.jpg
Stampeding by .Chris.K, on Flickr

13998005871_4ce502343d_b.jpg
Slash 4x4 Ultimate by .Chris.K, on Flickr

11397983025_eb7950c9e3_b.jpg

11398009256_dc61fa447b_b.jpg

11398395704_b25918984e_b.jpg

Real Name
Dan
...could i have pulled better IQ out of a d800 or the EM1 ? no question. is that an issue? not in the slightest.

oh...and try hitting those RC's running full tilt with a d800...not a hope in hell.

That is exactly the point. Required IQ is all a matter of how the images are to be used and how picky the user is. I can take images that I consider to be garbage and severely crop and or downsample them, print them 5x7, or post them on the web to rave reviews. Snap shots like these above are absolutely lovely with the V1 provided there's adequate light. The reason the discussion on IQ continues is simple human nature. Most people can't see beyond there own frame of reference. If it's good for me then it must be good enough for the rest of the world. And if I think it's crap, then it must be crap for the rest of the world. It's just people. It's one thing to say "for my needs a V1/2/3 produces just as good IQ as a D800." It's an entirely different statement without the "for my needs". Without the qualifying phrase, the statement is pure rubbish.

Regarding the focus comment above, not being able to get focus on the RCs with the D800 is not an equipment problem. It's that frame of reference thing again ;)

Couple of cute kids there.

Nikon announced the new 70-300 1nikkor will start shipping June 26th (next week).

I was in a hide photographing kingfishers 3 weeks ago with my d4 and 500vr with 1.7x tc and a guy came in with a Nikon v2 on the back of his 500vr.

We got talking and he showed me some shots. He also had his d3 and d7100 with him and kept switching between bodies.

The 1 series is definitely no d3 or d4 rival, apart from the continuous tracking speed which is amazing and the focus acquisition seems to be very fast too, but he was saying his v2 and 500 vr combo is giving him much better images than his d300 and 500vr combo did upto about iso 2500.

I think the v3 will make a great teleconverter when you need massive reach.

The v3 with the 500vr gives 1350mm and add the 1.7x tc and you are upto 2250mm.

He was getting full frame close up shots of the kingfisher that he could print at upto a3+ when it landed on the furthest away branches that I just couldn't get anywhere near to.

Yes it looks a little small sat on the back of a 500vr but if you are on a gimbal head it doesn't matter and if you have a remote release attached to the camera it works well hand held too.

I really appreciate your input. It makes me feel good about my purchase. I just left the local zoo. I took my granddaughter out. This was my first outing with my new V3. I haven't downloaded and post processed yet. But, the shots look pretty good, so far. I have not used the FT1 on my V3, as of yet. Today's shots were all with Nikon 1 Lenses.

Last edited:
My new 1 Nikkor 70-300 lens shipped today. Should have in hand sometime next week. :)

I really appreciate your input. It makes me feel good about my purchase. I just left the local zoo. I took my granddaughter out. This was my first outing with my new V3. I haven't downloaded and post processed yet. But, the shots look pretty good, so far. I have not used the FT1 on my V3, as of yet. Today's shots were all with Nikon 1 Lenses.

I completely concur with the comments you quoted from Colin. I have been doing what I would call some extreme testing with my V3/FT-1/400MM plus TC's. Here is a link to a "long distance video" as well as some stills. With the TC-17/400mm f2 combo, effective 1836 mm from about 136 yards away. This will not replace my D800 or D7100, then again, I don't think the video would be as good with either of those.

I completely concur with the comments you quoted from Colin. I have been doing what I would call some extreme testing with my V3/FT-1/400MM plus TC's. Here is a link to a "long distance video" as well as some stills. With the TC-17/400mm f2 combo, effective 1836 mm from about 136 yards away. This will not replace my D800 or D7100, then again, I don't think the video would be as good with either of those.

I just reviewed your photos on the link that you sent. Very good! Thanks.

I just reviewed your photos on the link that you sent. Very good! Thanks.

Awesome video. I especially enjoyed the conflict between the eagle and heron.

I am very jealous Rooz! Enjoy!

grabbed a great deal on a V3. they are not selling well in australia...retailer said they hadnt sold a single one since they got stock a few weeks ago. lucky me !!!
first impressions....AWESOMENESS !!!!!!!

14595323296_2cf8507449_o.jpg
Sleepwalking by .Chris.K, on Flickr

Id love to see a 70-200/2.8 on the one system. Or even a 50-150/2.8. Something faster and nikon 1 small combined with the blazing af would be awesome.

On my trip to Bhutan I've shot with a V1 + FT1 + 70-200VR and got some nice results. However, focusing was a problem as only AF-S was supported at that time. With AF-C it would have been a bit easier to get some shots. Also, the V1 "died" on me along the way, probably because of the many changes in temperature during the period I was there. We had cold nights, warm and moist days and sleeping in a tent didn't help either. But I could still use the 70-200VR with a 1.7TC on my D700 but the loss of "focal length" was noticeable.

The following image was taken inside dense bushes at 200mm and f/2.8:

20120504_bhutan_0627.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom