The NikonHacker video upgrade for the D7000....

I've just spent the last three hours test the 36mbite upgrade on the D7000. The 7000 is my third camera body so I decided I could take the risk. Well at 24fps 1080P it is now as good or better than the D7100. I was using the Nikkor 12-24 set at 18mm to test the two cameras. I test the 7000 with the standard codec and the NikonHacker codec against the D7100 (no hack available) at 24 1080P. The standard D7000 codec reports about 3.75 for the video data rate while the Hacker reports 9.375. It is significantly sharper when compared side to side in a video. I would not recommend doing this unless you can spare your 7000 as with any upgrade if your batter dies you will brick your camera. That being said I have done at least 8 upgrades/restores while testing with no issue. The files with the hack are larger (depends on the detail in the scene) and your recording time drops from 20 minutes to 17 minutes. But IMHO the increase in sharpness (detail) is worth it. It is now actually slightly better than the D7100 24 1080P in detail.

I should have noted that I can only get full play back at 2x speed (its stops at about seconds at normal speed, just hit the right arrow on the control button). Which is fine for me as I only use the LCD to confirm I got my subject.

That is it stops about 4 seconds in at normal speed in review. So before its stops just hit the right side of the control button and 2x lets you view the whole video.

Last edited:
So today, I learned that the newest hack (which I have installed) takes the SD setting of the video which used to be a 12 mbp codec and replaces it with the old HD rate of 20 mbp so you still have the original HD setting if you want it but it is now the SD setting.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom