The noise level of the D2H again ...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Boobie Joe, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I don't this this is a noisy camera at all ...

ISO 1250 100% crop out of the box and yes, in good lighting situation..

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scary, real scary.... :p

I agree with you, but I'll remind you of your response to a post I made a couple of months ago over on DPR. You said something to the effect that 'the measurebaters will point out that the noise only shows up in the shadows....'.

Ain't no shadows here.... 8)

I still say scary.... :lol:

Frank

3. lol, What about the corner of my right eye ? ... :lol:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, here's a 200% crop.

[​IMG]

Yeah, so there a little noise. Looks like one of my shots at ISO 400.... :?

You win.... 8)

I still say scary.... :p

Frank

5. I opened the picture and..............WHOA!!!! Freaked me out MAN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Here's lookin at you kid. Now I can say kid because you have no bifocals. Nice demo of the lack of noise on a properly exposed and WBalanced shot. I'm with Frank, it's still scary. :eek:

7. I am this ugly hey ?... :)

8. Actually Yves, I have never looked into a man's eyes this closely before. :D :D :D

9. Shadows......oh, I was distracted by the grey hairs in the eyebrows. Scary looking felow...do you know him?

:wink:

Rich

10. It's not noise it's texture! After comparing some D2H shots to a 20D, I really can't get into Canon's noise reduction. It's so plastic. When it comes down to it, I prefer Nikon's approach a lot more.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    MAKEUP!

How come you can never find the MUA when you need 'em? :)

12. Yves, sorry, but my wife says you have a coupla stray eyebrow hairs that need grooming....

13. :^)

Once you have gotten used to hitting your exposures, the D2h yields excellent results. The trick to getting good results in deeply shadowed scenes is to maximize the use of the sensor's range when presented with a scene that has less highlight information (overexpose to make maximum use of the histogram, within reason of course). This will yield the lowest noise results. Shutter speeds will drop, esp. if you're in a cave, so doing it this way will require a tripod or other solid support.

The D2h noise character is a little blotchy, so running a NR algorithm on it can often yield less than perfect results... it's best to minimize the problem in the capture.

It's a superb camera, but you need to know how to best use it. Nothing new here...

Ron