The often forgotten cheer shots

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Oct 2, 2008.

1. When shooting football I also try to capture the events that go on in addtion to the play on the field, I find a lot of times these are what sells as much as the action. In doing some analysis it seems that women place odrers at a much higher frequency than men. So by shooting the cheerleaders on the sidelines and as they perform at halftime is a great way to increase sales. What mother can pass up on cute shots of their little girl.
    This of course means there is no downtime or rest between halves or games but hard work does produce more sales, and in this trying economy, disposable income is at a all time low so we as photographers must give the parents a shot they just cant refuse. With that said here are some cheer shots from this past Sunday, I know they are not true sports shots so I hope you dont mind me posting them here.
    All with the D300 and the 300 2.8 with 1.4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JESTER

JESTER

Dec 4, 2007
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    Mike, I agree with you totally. You have to get those "extra" shots. You have some great poses there. I know you will make some sales from those. Those Cheerleader moms serious about their kids. And I always thought Cheerleading was a sport!

3. great shots Mike, definitely Moms buy more, in my little hobby biz the only Dad who has bought is a divorced Dad.

#4 & #10 are my faves.

4. I do the same thing, I rarely get the cheerleaders.

Great shots as usual Mike.

5. Mike,

That first shot is absolutely adorable. What a cutie and a great shot.

6. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Mike they are all great shots. especially #1. There is a noticeable difference between the shots taken with the D3 and the D300.

7. Nice series Mike. Cheerleading is definitely a sport these days. #2 is absolutely precious.

8. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Exif data says 1 thru 6 were with the D3. Having looked at that, the shots with the D300 don’t seem to be as sharp. (Actually, I hadn’t noticed that till I looked at the exif data). Do you find the D3 to give sharper shots than the D300? (Or is it me trying to justify not buying the D300 today)?

I’m always trying for non action shots, but find game shots easier. No half time activities around here, and rarely this kind of light to shoot in. I love the 300 f/2.8 and 1.4 TC combo. I use it a lot. These are all very nice.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Fine shooting Mike, the eyes are wonderful.

10. Hey Mike,

Are you kidding? These girls are every bit an athlete so this is sports related, and very cute too. Great ideas, thanks for sharing.

11. What parent could pass on those? Great captures and a nice business angle.

12. Mike great stuff, there are reasons there are huge cheer competitions they are every bit an athlete. They can do some awesome stunts and everything else.

I have been doing some concentrating on the cheerleaders lately as I know they are often forgotten.

13. Thanks alll

for looking and commenting, I appreciate it in this day and age we need every trick possible to maximize sales.