The Old and the New

D

dbirdsong

Frank has the pleasure of Wrigley Field when he wants to go to a baseball game.. A place I have always wanted to go. Some day I will get there.
Here in Detroit we had Tiger Stadium till 5 years ago.
Now I know Frank and others will call me all wet when I type this, but Tiger stadium was the greatest stadium of all time!
They replaced it with Comerica Park, which is ok and since they have fixed a few things there like making the field smaller so you can hit a home run there it has improved.
Saturday night my wife and I were in downtown Detroit and we drove by the old ball park and I had to take a couple pictures.

_DSC7104.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC5047.jpg

Later on we were driving by the new home of the Tigers and I took this one out the window of the car.

comericapark.jpg

that is one UGLY building from the outside. But then it's not always the looks that count.

We had a stone wall stadium where I grew up that looked like a prison to us but the inside was well lit and designed so we always went. It's still there but seldom used. It's always sad to see landmarks and places we grew up with replaced. I guess we just don't like somebody reminding us of the passing time.

Nice of you to share.

D

dbirdsong

It is ugly today when you consider that it has been empty for 5 years. It was the greatest place to watch a baseball game in the world.

Nice series, Dave. I have never been to Tiger Stadium (actually, I don't know much about the American League) or Comerica Park...but as a baseball fan in general, I do appreciate the ambience of a ballpark. When I viewed your images of Tiger Stadium...I can imagine Sparky Anderson walking onto the field...I can hear the ball flying off the bat...the venders shouting their words...the smell of hotdogs and popcorn. The new place will gather it's memories in time and when she is retired, someone will come along and bask in her memories. I've been to Bank One in Phoenix and Miller Park in Milwaukee...both are modern parks, loaded with amenites for today's baseball fans. Nothing wrong with them, just a different feeling than what Wrigley, Tiger Stadium and the other old ladies offer to the game.

That is the beauty of photography...you don't have to actually be there, but to view an image and allow your imagination to take you there, no that is precious!!!!

Thanks Dave...for taking the time to share your images!

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I did attend a few Tiger games at the old stadium, and I was terribly sad when they decided to abandon the old stadium to build something new. I'm never a supporter of new construction when a fabulous historic building can be saved.....and I truly believe Tiger Stadium could have been saved.

Comerica Park is nice in a new modern way, but while I've walked by it a few times when I'm down at the Fox Theatre, I've never bothered to watch a game there. You could literally feel the history of Tiger Stadium when you set foot in it. Comerica Park is just another dead new building.

You've probably guessed that I'm big on history and preservation. I live in an almost-100-yr-old home in an historic city. I hate it when buildings like Tiger Stadium stand abandoned!

Latest threads

Top Bottom