The old man and his dog

This shot was taken early one morning at The Beach, a portion of the Lake Ontario shoreline at the eastern end of Toronto. I spied the old man and his dog taking a leisurely stroll along the wooden boardwalk and sprinted (with about 40 lbs of gear) after them. When I got close enough, I paused, watched, and when the moment seemed right, grabbed this shot.
motorized Nikon F2AS
Nikkor 300 /2.8 ED AIS manual focus with TC-14b
Fuji Sensia II
exposure wide open (effectively f4) @ whatever
Manfrotto monopod
The_Old_Man_and_his_Dog.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P

photomate

Good vision, good moment. Thanks for sharing. When you had used another exposure, like F11, the dog should be sharper. All the sharpness is on the man in this picture.

Thank you all for the kind comments.
Wim,
I deliberately used a shallow depth of field to isolate the man and dog from the background, and so draw your eyes to them. Had I used a greater depth of field as you suggested, the background would also have been in sharp focus, and the main subjects would have stood out less than I wanted them to.
Victor,
You get only them and no one else in the shot at the Beach when you get out of bed at 4:30 or 5:00 am, and get down there no later than about six. Snooze and you lose.

P

photomate

Thank you all for the kind comments.
Wim,
I deliberately used a shallow depth of field to isolate the man and dog from the background, and so draw your eyes to them. Had I used a greater depth of field as you suggested, the background would also have been in sharp focus, and the main subjects would have stood out less than I wanted them to.
Victor,
You get only them and no one else in the shot at the Beach when you get out of bed at 4:30 or 5:00 am, and get down there no later than about six. Snooze and you lose.

you are right, I think. In these moments when it is possible I shoot twice and look at home what is the best. But I'm going with you now:Wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom