The Old Man of Storr

We have been visiting The Isle of Skye regularly since being married there in 2016 and have always talked about hiking up to see and photograph this iconic rock.

This morning we woke in our beautiful rented cottage in Staffin early having planned to hike to The Old Man for a sunrise. When the 6am alarm woke us we looked through the windows and were shocked to see it white over with snow, totally unexpected and certainly not forecast. So we decided that to hike up in the pitch dark in these conditions for the first time would be unsafe and decided instead to drive through to see the old bridge at Sligachan well before sunrise, well we were already awake, not a bad 2nd option :)

2048 JDP logo Sligachan bridge-6793.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

However, to end the day we decided to hike up to The Old Man of Storr for sunset. The conditions were not great during the hike, changing to blizzard winds not long after we reached the rock. Needless to say, we didn't stay up there long, deciding safety was the best policy, and descended with a wind on our backs. The hike was worth the experience of being so close to this iconic rock on Skye. You can just make out the snow blowing across the scene in this frame -

2048 JDP logo old man of storr-6838.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both taken with a D850 and 24-70 2.8.

I hope you have all enjoyed a Merry Xmas and wish you all a happy and healthy 2018, cheers from the Isle of Skye.

Real Name
Randy
Nice work John

I’ve been there 2x, some tough shooting for sure. I’m back next July but we’re gonna skip skye’s midges

Very nice John. Some of my favorite photos were taken in Scotland. You are very fortunate to be so close to such wonderful scenery.

Really beautiful shots! I like the bridge shot best, although it is hard to choose. It has a tranquility of winter about it.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"I look at the shots and I hear the pipes a' playing" - Georgie Beagle

Latest threads

Top Bottom