The one that got away....

PGB

We've all heard stories about the shot or fish that got away. I though that I would share mine.

Monday after I returned from Indianapolis my family and I decided to go visit my mom and dad on the lake. We had been there for a couple of hours and my dad wanted to show me some new tools that he had gotten. He has a pretty big place and has a "mule" pickup/tractor vehicle. Actually its more like a 4 wheel drive golf cart. We went to the barn and looked around. When we were done we headed back across the yard to the house. In the middle of his yard he has a drainage ditch with a culvert in the middle. As we passed by a fox peaked its head out of the whole and just stood there. We stopped for a few minutes and thats when I realized that I had made a serious error. I had left my D2x at home!!!!! The sun was just right and it was such a pretty face. I didn't even have my phone with me that has a camera in it. That would have even turned out good because we were about 10ft from it.

Once we got back to the house I got my Dad's Canon Digital Rebel and tried to go and see if the fox was still there. Apparently it was gone or I missed it trying to figure out the Canon.

Lesson learned, don't leave your camera at home!

Thanks,

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
sorry you were unable to share that moment. it would have made a great shot! NOW DONT DO THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!

Yeah, and not only had Patrick left his...I HAD LEFT MY CAMERA AT HOME AS WELL!!!! DUH!!!!

My D2H with the 300 2.8 sits on the front seat next to me everywhere I go. You can never know when a once in a lifetime shot will appear. :?

So sorry.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Leigh, I see a trend here, perhaps a family trait. It may be worth teaching your children how to avoid this in their futures :^)

dmwphoto said:
Leigh, I see a trend here, perhaps a family trait. It may be worth teaching your children how to avoid this in their futures :^)

Nope, I don't exactly think that's quite it....See we've got two boys (Almost 2 and almost 3)...so you can imagine how much stuff I have to remember to bring when we go anywhere...Diapers for the youngest...Snacks...Drinks...2 extra sets of clothes...Strollers...Mini-first-aid kit....Sunscreen in case we are outside....Bug repellant in case we are outside towards dark....

It's rare that I forget something (I've got it down almost to a science)....so on the off chance that I forget one thing...I'm glad that it's my camera and not something for my kids! :lol: Now Patrick on the other hand...All he had to remember was his keys for the truck, his cell phone and his D2X gear....who made the bigger goof??? :roll:

While I certainly commiserate with you for missing the picture, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that as you as you raised a camera, that fox would have been off like a "shot".

Leigh, I left one of my kids at a filling station in New Mexico and was almost a hundred miles away before any of us realized it. Like you say, better the camera than one of your boys. Sorry Patrick but then there is no guarantee you could have gotten the shot anyway. Funny story though.

Real Name
Chris
greyflash said:
Leigh, I left one of my kids at a filling station in New Mexico and was almost a hundred miles away before any of us realized it. Like you say, better the camera than one of your boys. Sorry Patrick but then there is no guarantee you could have gotten the shot anyway. Funny story though.

:lol: LOL :lol:

Sorry to hear you missed that shot Patrick. But on the other hand you do have a nice story to tell now. That must make it up a little. :wink:

I kept forgetting my gear as well. I now have a special backpack :idea: which fits the few gear I have at the moment. If possible I take that bag (including contents!) or my D70 with 18-125 walk-around lens with me wherever I go.

K

kg74

With the Canon put the dial on the green box and shoot, just like the D70 or dial in the right picture, sport guy/gal.

The Digitial Rebel is a fine camera - I have one and love it.

It is no D70 or D2H, but it works great.

gho

greyflash said:
Weeeellll... With 11 kids, I can definately see how that can happen. I always joke with my wife while checking off all the baby stuff, that one of these days, we'll pack everything but the baby. And knowing me, that's prolly exactly what will happen to me one of these days.

I always have a camera on me. If not the D2X or the D70, then an Oly C60, Fuji F10 or Sony P200.

Yeah, I have a pile of little bitty cameras. I like em!

PGB

I haven't forgotten it again. I even take it on service calls for my business. Accept when I'm going to be in a ceiling or on a roof installing a wireless network.

Patrick, bummer about the missed shot. Mother Nature sometimes likes to tease us like that. If I can't take my big rig, I'm always carrying my little powerful CanonSD400. It even has 60fps video! You might want to consider one as a "always with me" camera - great for capturing those 'darnedest things kids do' shots.

Gordon, with eleven kids, I'm not surprised one got left behind but it sure is a funny story. How on earth did you ever make it up to him - that's makes for years of psychiatrist's bill! *LOL*

Latest threads

Top Bottom