The only model I could get on "short" notice (D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Dummy me, I was so harried to get a few shots of "Bunny" before she jumped off the stool (again), that I completely forgot to check my Histograms, underexposed by 1/3 stop, and forgot to preset the WB, which was left on Cloudy from earlier. I just left it there for "warmth". I'll include a link to the original converted nef-to tif-to jpg, saved at a quality of 10 in PS/CS. PS, she's VERY dirty! Probably sharpened it too much, I usually do :-/
    Date/Time 01-Mar-2005 16:12:54
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 85 mm
    Exposure Time 1/180 sec
    Aperture f/8
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias +2/3
    White Balance (10)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program manual
    The link to the BIG one:
    http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/image/40333304

2. marek

marek Guest

Steve did anyone ever tell you that you have toooo much equipment? 8 )

Sweet tones on this one, creamy.

3. Nice shot Steve, my daschunds won't sit still for 1/8000 of a sec ! Lots of good fur detail in that shot...good luck with the new cam!

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ...and not near enough talent?

Allow me to complete that thought for you, Marek :oops:
    Ya, I do have a lot of equipmant. I think I may be an equipment junkie. btw, have you ever seen Birger's equipt list? Way bigger than mine! ;) But as they say, the 1st step to recovery is admitting you have a problem! :lol: Where I *really* goofed in the lighting was the bg spot. I only used a 10 deg grid, and should've used a 20 or even 30. Thanks for commenting buddy!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Put em on a REAL high stool ;)

This posing stool I put Bunny on was as high as it could go, and I think she was afraid to jump off! Thanks for looking, Peter.

6. A great shot of your Yorkie and to think it took 12mp's to do it. Good job Steve.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Gordon, I think

I can't help but get this sneaking feeling that you & marek seem to think a D2X is major overkill, and how could I possibly need such a machine, esp a hobbiest like me. :? First it's Marek saying I've got too much equipment, then you saying "...to think it took 12MP to do it." If this is a good natured ribbing, I guess I just don't get it. At face value, you guys don't seem to be very happy for me... sort'a seems like the oppposite. :? If this isn't the case, then I want to appologise for being overly sensitive.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Steve,

We're just jealous of you my friend. If anyone needs the 12MP it is folks like you that shoot in the studio.

Of course, that 2X crop mode sure would look good with flying birdie shots.... :wink:

Congrat's on your new cam. Enjoy!!

Frank

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    A post script - Your Bunny shot is great.... :wink:

Frank

10. What a great shot. Any more shots like those on the cafe, and I will have to start selling some stuff for a new D2X.

11. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Re: Thanks Gordon, I think

Steve, first test in assessing whether the comments were meant in good humour or not is to remember that this is not the other place. :D

I'm sure they're happy for you, as am I, and it's all in the nature of envious teasing.

And nice shot of Bunny, but then I haven't seen you take many bad ones of her, whatever the equipment.

Neil

12. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Steve,

Beautiful shot. I won't kid you about the D2x because I have one, also. But I need the 12 MP to get all of our two St. Bernards. I'll post when I get home.

I see nothing wrong with being an equipment junkie if the equipment permits you to take greater pleasure from your photography, as it seems to do for both of us.

Cheers,

Joel

13. marek

marek Guest

Re: Thanks Gordon, I think

Major overkill never!!! Actually Steve you need to take a lot of what I say with a decent grain of salt. I guess my humor takes enough getting used to in person and then in a forum ... hehe Guess you haven't had too much exposure to Aussies :cool:

As for being happy? Well, it's just equipment. I;m more happy that you enjoy using it.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I guess Iwith 3 Nikons now, qualify as a junkie,

Definitely keeping all of them too, although the D70 is no doubt going to get handed down to my eldest son to use, since he's shown a real interest in photography. He got an A+ for his "ball's eye view" Callaway Golf Ball pic he did in photography class. It was a film B&W of the ball on the green with the flag just oof in the distance. I'll tell ya, he's getting pretty good at PS too. He's even shown me a thing or 2!

15. Re: The only model I could get on "short" notice (

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Mel, I redid Bunny's pic here:

After reading up on USM settings in NC4, ala Ron & others discussed yesterday. They are using the D70 setttings as recommended in Ron's book, I went back and redid Bunny's pic. I think it's better now. Not so much sharpening. With thse big files, you don't realise how much you're putting into them @50% zoom.
    After redo:

Before redo:

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

You are right, the redo does look a little better although I thought that the original wasn't that bad.

When do you get your new doggie? Can we see some D2X shots of him / her? Can't wait.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank