The Parthenon

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Kevin Scott, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ....in Nashville, Tennessee, of all places!

While in Nashville over the holidays, I made a trip out to Centennial Park in Nashville where the only full-size replica of the famous Greek Parthenon is located. (Click Here for info).

The weather was pretty crappy, late afternoon, overcast with only brief moments of sunshine peeking through the clouds. I admit to manipulating the sky color somewhat in this image. There were a few tourists milling around and what seemed like the bus drivers of a tour bus, seen standing on the side. I left them in the shot for a sense of scale. All in all, it is a beauty and quite neat to see it complete, as opposed to the original in Athens.

They must be just finishing up restoration as there is a heavy-guage chicken wire covering over the detailed shots.

Full size view (1/180, f5, ISO200, 35-70/f2.8 @ 35mm)
    [​IMG]

A detail shot of the left front west-facing facade (1/200, f5, ISO200, 300/f4 AFS)
    [​IMG]

And one of the right side (1/350, f5, ISO200, 300/f4 AFS)
    [​IMG]

2. wow, fascinating! too bad about the chicken wire.
    Dave

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That is a nice shot...and, yes, too bad about the chicken wire. I am going to have to refer to the link to find out why the replica exists and in Nashville of all places. It is a beautiful building though. Nice post on these, Kev.

4. Very nice, never knew there was a Parthenon in Nashville! Sorry to rain on yr parade, but being a city-gal, I'd say that chicken wire is pigeon-proofing, not for any restoration. Pigeons (aka flying rats) just love spots like that to roost/coo/white-bomb and modern architects often overlook this in their designs. That wire looks pretty permanent.

I like the composition of the shot, captured well.

5. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Kevin,Im thinking the wire is to keep the flying chickens from crappin on it?
    Thanks for posting these I had no idea we even had a copy of the building here and Nashville of all places. The sky fix on the first one works for me.

6. Thanks Frank! I briefly skimmed through that link I provided and didn't realize they had a copy of the statue of Athena on the inside! Had I known in advance I would've gone in to see it. I lived in Nashville for 6 yrs and went to Centennial Park often but have never gone inside to see the artwork. Maybe next time! :smile:

7. That makes sense! I always assume restoration when I see scaffolding or netting. It's not really noticeable and to be honest I didn't really see it till I had my 300 on and was doing the detail shots.

Thanks for the kind words about the comp! :smile:

8. I guess the wire is a necessary evil. I'm not sure but I seem to recall that Nashville was always referred to as the "Athens of the South". Maybe due to the Parthenon, or maybe I'm getting senile. :wink:

You can see the difference in the sky between the full shot and the detail. On the detail shots, the sun came out and was just before sunset, hence the saturated colors on the statuary.

Appreciate the comments!

Thanks to you too, Dave! You're always so kind to post a note! :smile:

9. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Very nice shots!nice tree framing of first shot!!Closeup shots are sharp.

10. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very nice catures

11. interesting place...