The Perfect Rose

One of the class assignments for my digital photography class was to emulate the style of a famous photographer. Here's a rendering I did of a rose, in which I tried to copy the style of Kate Breakey. Her works isolate the subject and make them very painterly.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P.S. If you'd like to see more of Kate's work, here's a link:
http://www.edelmangallery.com/breakey-main.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Virginia

You are on a roll with this style of image........

Simply wonderful and you have achived all you set out to do....

Beautiful work!!!!!!!

Best wishes

Ray

A big thank you to you all: Ray, Lil, Mike, Gale, Dianne, David, Robert, Carol, and Diane.

I wouldn't have tried this if it weren't for my homework assignment. The good thing about classes is that they can encourage you to try new things.

Of course, being a sucker for beautiful flowers doesn't hurt either!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

A big thank you to you all: Ray, Lil, Mike, Gale, Dianne, David, Robert, Carol, and Diane.

I wouldn't have tried this if it weren't for my homework assignment. The good thing about classes is that they can encourage you to try new things.

Of course, being a sucker for beautiful flowers doesn't hurt either!

Virginia

aka beaucamera
Did you pass this assignment?? :biggrin:

I checked out Kate Breakey's work. Very nice. I see the similarity, but your rose is still your own style. KB's work seems more brooding, yours is more perfectly beautiful and "light". I'd give you an A+ for taking KB's style and then adding your own take on to it.

DAB

Hi, Dab

Thanks for taking the time to visit Kate Breakey's site. I agree with you about the brooding nature of her work. I'm not sure how she achieves that. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you for your nice comments about my interpretation too!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Hi, Dab

Thanks for taking the time to visit Kate Breakey's site. I agree with you about the brooding nature of her work. I'm not sure how she achieves that. Do you have any ideas?
It seems to me that some of KB's flowers are ringed with darkness, while yours is ringed with a lighter color. And the luminosity of your flower and background are about the same, while KB's whole background is darker than the subject. That might be part of it.

DAB

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom