1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The perfect white backdrop...

Discussion in 'People' started by the Pond, Aug 9, 2009.

1. the Pond

the Pond

Jan 5, 2007
    Canada
    ...is easy to achieve with minimal equipment. Here is a three flash setup, with two on the background and one on a white reflective umbrella. Background is three stops brighter than subject (i like to nuke it because i use a white muslin backdrop and need to hid wrinkles in the fabric). One trick I like to use is by having a Gold reflector as fill instead of white or silver. It gives me a nicer skin tone and works for any skin type for great results right out of camera. Give it a try. Have a look....

3802521321_e88f5132c2_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I can achieve full lenght shots if I have to as well. Here is what it looked like a moment before (in a basement).

3802521351_4805a7b1fd.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking.

2. hai-san

hai-san

Mar 3, 2009
    San Jose, Ca
    looks great. would of had no idea they were muslin backdrop. i tried this myself last week, except i didn't properly block off the two flashes at the wall, which i used without a backdrop, and that led to a bit of overexposed shoulders, haha. i'll take note of the gold reflector though!

3. actionshooter

actionshooter

Aug 26, 2008
    NY
    Nice. Were your background flashes behind the muslin (shining through)?

4. the Pond

the Pond

Jan 5, 2007
    Canada
    The flashes were pointed right at the background. If you shine them through you end up losing more light in my experience and you also get some bleed on to the subject if it is close to the backdrop. One was a 25 year old sb20 and another was a 20 year old sb26.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.