Critique The piano you never want to hear

Polebridge is an unincorporated area just outside Glacier National Park and its mercantile area, which is 105 years old, is a registered historic landmark. This piano has seemingly been left unprotected on an outdoor stage there for years if not decades. (EDIT: Nick remembers hearing it in the 1970's.) The piano is the Kingsbury model manufactured by the Cable Company. I posted the last photo only to display the piano's overall condition, as that photo is not nearly as good as the others due to so much stuff on the stage being in my way.

Photo #1
Mike 2019-09-18--0696-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2

Mike 2019-09-18--0698-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2019-09-18--0697-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2019-09-18--0695-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2019-09-18--0694-S.jpg

Photo #6
Mike 2019-09-18--0705-S.jpg

Photo #7
Mike 2019-09-18--0685-S.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to Allan, Wile and Nick!

Excellent photos of an object most of us would just walk right on by!

I actually did walk right on by it after taking a picture of the entire stage and didn't even notice the piano located in the right rear corner. Fortunately, my friend told me about it, so I returned to the stage to take these photos.

I remember that well when it was a "working" piano, back in the late '70s.

Great to know you heard it! What kind of music was generally performed on the stage? There are two very small semi-enclosed areas about 3 feet square to the right and left of the stage that we could only guess were for dancing go-go girls (think Goldie Hawn and the Laugh-In television show). Do you remember those two areas and what they were used for?

By the way, it seemed evident that the stage is still being used during warm weather despite its dilapidated state. It's structurally sound even though the cosmetics have been ruined by the weather.

Last edited:
What kind of music was generally performed on the stage?

I was up in that neck of the woods (actually a couple of miles south of the Canadian border) for 3 summers conducting research on the Flathead River. I recall the piano being played by anyone who wanted to. There was always music in the evenings, mostly impromptu sessions (but I could be wrong). Lots of folk/"country" acoustic stuff. The Merc had the only phone for miles and miles. It was inside an inverted wooden barrel on the front porch, that was supposed to help cut down on the noise from the music and the perpetual volleyball game outside.

Do you remember those two areas and what they were used for?

Nope. Sorry. I was probably busy drinking my cheap beer.

The Merc had the only phone for miles and miles.

Back then the entire business area's electricity was probably powered by a gas or diesel generator. Still today it's electricity comes only from solar panels (87 of them) including this interesting use of a barn's roof. The other side of the roof is also covered with solar panels.

Mike 2019-09-18--0673-S.jpg

Progress. Our cabin had no power, running water (well, not inside) and just a leaning one-hole outhouse. The closest coffee "shop" was the Canadian border station (well, both sides had coffee, the Canadians had the chairs for us all to sit on), showers were at a temporary USFS work station, Polebridge was civilization, and West Glacier was the "City".

Our cabin had no power, running water (well, not inside) and just a leaning one-hole outhouse.

When you went to Polebridge, had they built the bathroom facility or were they still using this (still on their property but locked)?

Mike 2019-09-18--0676-S.jpg

There was only an outhouse, but I can't be sure this was it. That looks like a luxury set up compared to ours. However, ours leaned precipitously to one side and had no door, but the view out front was phenomenal.

Latest threads

Top Bottom