The Police with the Police

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by dzibead, Aug 17, 2008.

1. The NYPD band took the stage with The Police at their farewell concert at MSG last week during Message in a Bottle.

2769759236_7dd1ab4acf_b.png

View attachment 240469

They heard Sting was going to be out of work and offered him Chief of Police:wink:

View attachment 240470

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice shots Patti. What camera/lens did you use? Looks like you were fairly close?

3. patti,
    awesome thread and shots
    how cool that the NYPD band played with sting
    so.....
    how did you get THAT vantage point from which to shoot

4. I was is section 61 in the loges on Sting's side of the stage. He happened to look our way while donning his cap. It's blurry I'm afraid.
    I used my 85mm1.4D on my D50. I thought about taking the 70-300VR but it's a pain to get in and not as fast. Even at a distance in low light it's acceptable, at least to me under the lighting circumstances. My shots at Jones Beach from half way back in the orchestra aren't as clear. I had to crop the heck out of them.

2769944641_4e47d4d906_o.png

5. Here's another from MSG at the end of the show. You can see Rosanna Arquette at the front of the stage with her hands on her head. She was there dancing the entire night. I've got a crowd shot with Micky Dolenz and James Gandolfini in it. A number of others were there as well. Bruce Springsteen & Patti, Leonardo DeCapprio among others.

2760983486_767b0331a5_b.png

6. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Patti, that last shot you posted is great. Keep 'em coming.

7. Thanks Patti,

They are all really good,thanks for sharing.

8. Well done Patti...great shots and my eyes are greener than ever :biggrin:

9. You missed some fantastic concerts Charlie. The second night at Jones Beach was the best show ever according to just about everyone who was there - some of whom were there from the UK and had seen 30+ shows. Sting was loose - even got a couple of 'cha's out of him. They played Purple Haze and Sunshine of Your Love covers and Sting inserted bits of other songs in like "there she was just walking down the street singin' do wa diddy diddy dum diddy do" at the beginning of De Do Do Do. It was wild! :eek:

10. nice shots!

i am confused though..did Sting shave his beard, mid show?

:confused:

11. LOL Yes. Between encores Sting appeared on the screen backstage stretched out in a barber's chair, shirtless while three attractive young estheticians shaved him smooth in less than 5 minutes. He returned to the stage bare chested and clean shaven singing "younger than springtime am I". Nothing like a little South Pacific at a rock concert. It was very funny. He'd been sporting the much detested beard since Jan. His female demographic was VERY happy to see the rainforest disappear off of his face. Not sure where all the endangered species relocated to that were finding refuge in that forest ... :biggrin:

12. these shots.... just wonderful images

thanks for sharing them with us

13. Thanks Greg. I always love shooting concerts, especially this.

14. Gee thanks. I was disappointed and thought they weren't that good compared to closer shots from last Nov. in Toronto with my old 85mm 1.8. . I guess it's just my view of the distance factor this time.

C&C is ALWAYS appreciated so I can learn learn learn so please give any feedback you can. I've got thick skin to go with my thick skull.

2337595774_de43bed6e1.png

2181050089_ce9a563aec_o.png