The pond near the house.

Except the far shoreline wasn't parallel to the shooter (me). Hence the trees won't line up.
I don't think that matters but I might be wrong. I'm going to place a mirror on a tabletop and then a small object on the mirror. I'll then take a photo with the camera level from the side to determine if the physical object and its reflection line up. I'll get back to you though it may be a day or two.

Real Name
Bill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think that matters but I might be wrong. I'm going to place a mirror on a tabletop and then a small object on the mirror. I'll then take a photo with the camera level from the side to determine if the physical object and its reflection line up. I'll get back to you though it may be a day or two.
I think most of it is that the fore and aft level of my camera was intentionally out of level.

I think most of it is that the fore and aft level of my camera was intentionally out of level.
When making landscapes that don't include reflections, I understand that the more appealing compositions can require intentionally making the camera out of level. The problem with doing that when there is a reflection is that the physics of light can not be denied. The first thing I noticed in your image were the spectacular colors and the mirror-like reflections of them. I then immediately noticed that the reflections weren't in sync with the objects being reflected.

When making landscapes that don't include reflections, I understand that the more appealing compositions can require intentionally making the camera out of level. The problem with doing that when there is a reflection is that the physics of light can not be denied. The first thing I noticed in your image were the spectacular colors and the mirror-like reflections of them. I then immediately noticed that the reflections weren't in sync with the objects being reflected.
Look at Bob's B&W on the top of the home page—the sun's rays are all at an angle when they hit the water at the horizon line—had they been straight the image would be rather plain.

Look at Bob's B&W on the top of the home page—the sun's rays are all at an angle when they hit the water at the horizon line—had they been straight the image would be rather plain.
I agree.

However, Bob's scene is not only not analagous to Mike's Bill's scene), it actually demonstrates one of the reasons Bob's image works so well -- that any point above the horizon is vertically in line with that point's reflection in the water. Notice in Bob's photo that when the rays of light are at an angle to the horizon, the reflection of them is at the opposite angle and at the same degree of angle. That is what we expect to see because that is the physics of light at work.

Contrast that with Mike's Bill's colorful photo in which the large green tree about one-third of the way from the right frame is fundamentally, vertically straight, yet its reflection is at an angle to the left. The green tree at the right frame is leaning to the right yet its reflection is straight or maybe leaning to the left. Those disparities defy the physics of light and, unfortunately, reduce the realism of the scene when it's clear that the intent is to display a realistic scene, as opposed to an image that is intentionally surrealistic.

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is simply terrific, Bill! And I know what you mean about no smoke, after having had the Pine Gulch fire about 15 miles north of me providing 3 weeks of air quality alerts starting in early August. It became the largest wildfire in CO history at 139,000 acres.:eek:
Thanks, it hasn't been as bad the last week or so but just a small change in the wind and it will fill back in.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom