The Portland Lighthouse.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by camerapapi, Jul 28, 2008.

1. If you visit Maine you should know this is the most photographed lighthouse of the East Coast of the United States. Since it faces East, it is a good idea to be there before sunrise for spectacular pictures. I was passing by so I had to work with what I had at the time, including a less than dramatic lighting although still acceptable.
    I took several shots but this was my favorite. Pretty close to where I was photographing there was a dangerous cliff from where it was easy to drop into the ocean. I took all kind of precautions!
    For this shot I used my Gitzo tripod with Linhof ballhead and my long gone D100.
    The lens I used was the 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF Nikkor set to 35mm and fit with a Nikon polarizer slightly rotated for minimal polarization since I do not like those cobalt blue skies that appear faint to me. The original is a JPEG file later converted to sRGB for the web.
    I applied a light Gaussian blur to the original.

PortlandLightI.jpg

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    nice shot William
    I have a similar shot posted from a slightly different angle

I would get rid of the frame however...JMHO

3. a beautiful scene
    thanks so much for sharing it with us

4. Thank you Frank for your comments. I tend to use a frame just to post in the forum. I know we are all different and have different taste. Perhaps a white frame was what was called for.
    Thank you once again for your comments.
    William.

5. Thank you Spalding for your comments. 24,174 posts! Those are lots of contributions my friend.
    During my short stay at Nikon Cafe I have seen the works of many talented photographers and a great enthusiasm on the part of the participants for sharing their ideas and what they know of this beautiful art.
    My communications with the few moderators I had to get in touch with have been very pleasant.
    This is a great group and I am very happy you are part of it.
    William.