The power of PP

Discussion in 'People' started by Ottrott's Human, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    My Dad recently asked me to do a formal portrait for him. This was a huge honor for me and something to be taken pretty seriously.......you'd have to know my dad.

He wanted a framed photograph to present his wife for her 50th birthday and also a photo taken in "his prime" that could be used for his obituary.....hopefully 20 years or more from now.

My father has been a very fit and outdoorsy type his entire life. He builds houses for Habitat, volunteered to re-roof homes in Louisiana after Katrina, loves camping, white water rafting etc...etc...

The sun has not been particularly kind to his skin.

My goal with the PP on his shots was not so much to make him look younger, but to make him look *good for his age*......a very fit 67 years young.

I wanted to share both the photo of my Dad that he selected and the power of photoshop:

Straight from camera:
    664537689_13a7fbe287_o.

Final Edit:
    618265680_9e694c707c_o.

Version to be used as obit pic' (thanks to Woody for his advice on processing an image that would print well in the paper!):
    625613610_e2ab14fd3b_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  2. the image looks good as is and you made it look a million times better! :)

3. Very nice Stuart, your dad is a fine looking man. You just made me realize that I will have to get busy and do the same thing for me. I really like your processing.

4. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Laura.....looking forward to seeing you and T tomorrow!

That's a coincidence because I have always wanted to visit Utah!!:wink: I guess your pro-photog daughter probably has you covered there though!:smile:
    Thanks Gordon!

5. Well come on any time. Actually my daughter lives in Dallas and doesn't get here too often.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The slight editing is perfect
    Very handsome man

I do prefer the color:>))))

7. Stu, the original shot is wonderful w/o any processing, but you sure did make him look good for his age...a perfect job...flawless work, as always.

8. Couldn't have said it better. :smile:

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    You have pull out all the stops for your Dad. Excellent work sir!

10. Excellent shot of your father Stu. A very youthful looking gent :Smile:

Thanks for sharing the pic and story. Very neat indeed.

11. Nicely done. Your PP, as usual, is wonderful.

Which lens did you use for this one? One light here with a reflector??

I hate to tell you, but there will be no newspapers when your dad dies in 20-30 years! Who knows how we'll be getting our information.

12. Stu the photo is perfect! What was your light setup?

13. Stuart, impressive PP work! However I also like the original shot, and to be honest, I find it more authentic or believable (don't know which word expresses what I mean to say). Hard to decide if I would prefer the PP'd one.

14. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:Wow!! He is an OLD guy. Why he's 2 years older than me. Is he as happy as me to be holding a Medicare Card? There have been a couple of questions concerning your lighting set-up. That would interest me too. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

15. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thank you Gale!

Thanks John! While I wouldn't call by father a vain man I do think the editing was an important part of the process for him and one of the main reasons he asked me to do the portrait. I think he knew I would take the time to do give it my absolute best. Being fairly old school he is amazed at what can be done with photoshop. It's nice to be able to impress the "Old Man"........he isn't easily impressed.

Thank you Brian!

The best single syllable compliment I know of.......thank you!

Thanks Fred....I put a couple of hours into each photo I processed and I enjoyed every minute of it. The odd thing is that the edited version is really more how I see him when I look at him in person.

Thank you Peter. I'm very happy you enjoyed it!

Yep....you nailed it Mitchell. One strobe through an octabox high and to his right with a stand mounted circular reflector opposite.
    I shot this under a skylight with a diffuser panel for a "hairlight"......kind of funny considering! I should also have used a BG light for better separation.

I used the 85mm 1.4.

As for the newspaper........yep just ask Woody......having talked with him about his 25 year career in the newspaper business I am pretty sure he'd concur with that assessment!

Thanks Mitch!

Thanks Eric.....see above for lighting. Hope you and your family are doing well. Moved in to the new home yet?

Thanks Daniel......he wanted the PP so it was really not up to me this time. Normally when shooting men I prefer to leave all the character lines. Life's roadmap so to speak.

Well I'll tell you this....he can still work me under the table any day of the week. See above for lighting. Thanks!

16. Stu, you did a great job with the glare on the glasses and the bifocal line across his eye. You even pp his ear..... nice job on his neck also, that must have taken some time.

I know he will be pleased in his picture and his son's talent.

Tim

17. Fantastic picture Stuart. I really like the B&W one.

18. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Tim......I did the ear because he has a piercing!:eek:

The neck did take quite a long time.....primarily because I am not that handy with the liquify tool. Practice makes perfect.....so I definitely need the practice!:smile:

Thanks Dude! The B&W is my Dad's favorite too.

19. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

Excellent image. I think all 3 have a great quality about them. 1 has character, 2 is a fantastic retouched image and I just love black and white shots anyway so thats a winner. Re: the newspaper not being here in the next 20 years, thats a sad truth, you'll see a migration in the next few years to other formats. Even some of our daily newspapers now in the UK have a downloadable pdf version of the newspaper that you can purchase. We in the digital age.

Jase