The Prettiest

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Hi!

I think an Ophiogomphus cecilia is the Prettiest Dragon... although calling them pretty can drive them crazy
    250708033.jpg

Ok, I apologized
    250708032.jpg

O. cecilia in The obelisk posture. It´s actually very rare we have so hot in here to see Dragons in The obelisk posture. By doing this Dragons (Damsels do that too) try to prevent overheating. They point their abdomen (tail) tip towards the sun minimizing the surface area exposed to solar radiation. As you can see the angle of this cecilia the sun is not that high in the sky even in summer time in here...
    250708025.jpg

Normal pose
    270708037.jpg

They usually perch on plants and sticks. I have seldom seen them perching on rocks...
    240708032.jpg

There´s ofcourse a lot for them to keep an eye on: prey, other males and females...
    250708019.jpg

...but his one spotted something more interesting on the stream bank...
    240708026-3.jpg

...and missed this female.
    270708039.jpg

Thanks for visiting! Please, come again!!!
    250708041.jpg

All shots taken with D200 + Nikkor 300mm AF-S f/4

2. Great series Jukka, that last one is especially freaky ;)!

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great shots Jukka. Excellent detail and color. I just wish I could see a O. cecilia. Unfortunately the only observations in Denmark are a 5 hours drive from here and then I would not be sure to catch any. I don't think they have been reported in Sweden at all.

Love your sense of humor too. :biggrin:

About the heat. I was in Skåne Sunday trying to catch a C. boltanii. No luck. Just saw one flying. It was 34° C and I was sweating. Just bought a new deodorant. According to the commercial the women should be all over me with that deoderant. I don't know about the women but it works like a charm with hover flies and bumble bees.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for sharing! I had no idea how beautiful they were...or how wonderful the photos could be when done by someone who OBVIOUSLY is very talented!

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Nice Jukka,
    We have been a bit short on Gomphus around here lately... Just have't seen them. That cecilia is very pretty, I love the color.

6. very pretty, jukka
    i fully agree with you

7. fatimask

fatimask

Jun 25, 2008
    Canada
    Some of the best dragonfly pictures I've ever seen, especially love #4

8. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Wow that last one is freaky .. Seems to be looking right at me.

Cool

9. Very great shots and thanks for the cool info on their orientation. I was noticing the other day that even on a fallen log and this wooden boardwalk that they always perched with the long axis of their body parralel (Sp I know) to the log. I wonder if it just happened that it was due to the direction of the sun now.

10. Love the last one!

11. But now it is! I just read that one of our Odonata guys found one in Sweden. It´s up north close to Tornio. Funny thing was he e-mailed couple of days ago and mentioned he captured one and when released the cecilia took off and flew to Sweden...

But today he saw one IN Sweden...

EDIT: I just read that another finnish guy also saw one last summer in Sweden...

AND!!! A new species was found yesterday for Finland. Aeshna affinis, one male. WHOHOO!!! (Saw it last summer in Bulgaria)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Jukka.

There have been several observations of the O. cecilia in Denmark. Unfortunately all a long way from where I live. Next year for sure. Right now I'm pretty happy with my A. viridis shots. It took me a long time to get some decent shots.

Are you sure that it's an A. affinis and not an A. mixta. I have seen several males the last couple of days. Very easygoing dragonfly.

13. Yes, it´s A. affinis for sure as it was seen and IDed today by one of our leading Odonatologists... and it was also captured by the fellow who found it at the first place, so it´s sure... I think, if that Dragon is going to stay at the same place it will be one of the most captured specimen in whole wide world during the following days :smile:

PS. Excellent shots of A. viridis you have got... It´s a very rare species here and I think I haven´t seen it reported yet this season...

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Well. The A. viridis is very rare here too. Their living areas are protected even if it's on private ground. Only reported from 3 places this year. 2 of them are in my area. Not only are they rare but they are very hard to get. Some of the most shy I have ever seen. Mostly hides deep in the grass.

Maybe we should look for A. affinis too. Seems strange that it should immigrate north to Finland without making a stop first.

15. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I like the last one too, good work.

Your text is amusing as well, makes a nice story from the images.

16. Great shots, but that last one is fantastic!!!

17. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice series.