The Promised Grown Up Flamingo

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Oct 3, 2005.

1. In a recent post I showed a very young flamingo and was challanged to produce a grown up one. Well I tried but they all seemed to be asleep :mad:

D1H and 80-400 VR again. 1/400 at f8 260mm

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

That's a cool perspective !!
    love that feather detail.

3. Haha you can't have everything. At least you could shoot a flamengo. I must go to a Zoo for seeing a Flamengo. Nice composition.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What a beauty Dave. What I'd like to see are the stages that the young one that you posted goes through as s/he grows up. :wink:

5. I'll have a try as there are a good range of ages in the flocks at Slimbridge - I will have a try tomorrow if weather is fine. :smile:

6. Well all my Flamingo shots are of captive flocks at Slimbridge (I do have a few of real wild Flamingos taken in Spain but they are not very good). Slimbridge is both a 800 acre wetland reserve and an 80 acre wildfowl (and flamingo) "zoo" and so has a great mix of captive, feral free flying, and wild birds - magic. The Famingo flocks at Slimbridge are large (200+ for the Carribean, Chilean and Greater) and I find this makes for better photo opportunities than the small flocks most zoos hold.
    By the way have you ever tried to carry a Flamingo? Weird is not the word :biggrin: , you have to carry them with the wings and body trapped under your arm, feet forward (you must stop their "knees" knocking :frown: ) with a long neck and large beak waving around out of site behind you :mad: .

7. Flamingos grow up and up

Here you go then, to remind you little fluffy things to start with

Those were Chilean flamingos, the rest of the pics are Greater Flamingos which are more advanced in development today (I took all these this morning).
    The legs get longer and the neck gets longer

and longer

and so on

They eventualy change colour as they eat the special Flamingo food they are fed.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    How cute Dave. Thanks!! :smile:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dave this must be one i missed for sure ..

The tiny ones standing like the adults is just toooo cute.
    Nice to see different ages all in one place.
    Very nice
    Thanks for sharing these.