the Quest for a RAW that Elements recognises..... converting NEF to DNG.

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Joyseeker, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

remember the problem of mine in getting elements to open my NEF files?

thanks again for that solution as it got me going.

but working with 'PictureProject' (PP) which came with the D40 was bugging me. even more bugging when PP doesn't read the DNG files after the Adobe NEF conversion process!

as i mentioned ealier 'iPhoto' on my MacBook reads NEF files without fuss and exports them too (another thing PP does not do). i went back to looking at iPhoto to see if i could work with NEF/DNG files more easily.

look what i found fellow Mac users!!!!

[​IMG]

'Reprocess RAW' appears as an option when a NEF file is highlighted and after use one has a DNG anywhere as the EXPORT allows to work with...... elements opens as a RAW file...... well done mac!!!!

edit: and another thing...... this method one can convert one NEF file at a time to DNG..... using the adobe converter the whole directory had to be converted...... point being why convert when one is going to bin?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I think Apple is working quite closely with Adobe on their raw file support. You will notice a pretty close timeline between Adobe raw file support updates and Apple's release of similar updates.

3. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

or in this case reading and converting NEF files from a D40 before Elements :biggrin:

4. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

that is really strange.

iPhoto has stopped converting the NEFs to DNGs. :mad: