1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The "Real" Wildlife Photographers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Traveling in Yellowstone we saw a big traffic jam along the Madison River. We stopped to see what everyone was interested in. There was a bald eagle sitting on a dead tree on the other side of the river. There were probably 50 photographers waiting for it to fly. I chose to photograph the photographers.

Is this what it is like for you bird photographers? The gorgeous elk that I took the photo of that many of you liked was just lying there with no one taking its photo, but me. Everyone else was totally transfixed on the bald eagle--of course my 70-200 did not have the reach to get a decent shot of it.

I know these should go in the people forum--but thought you guys might get a kick out of them.

The Eagle

The Photographers

View attachment 15920

View attachment 15921

View attachment 15922

View attachment 15923

View attachment 15924

View attachment 15925

View attachment 15926

View attachment 15927

2. Wow, there is some serious glass there.

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Boy am I undergunned :eek:  :frown:

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Terri :

You should come to the Bosque del Apache in season in New Mexico.

Some mornings before dawn, you could have double that number of people around. Without being dramatic, there's probably something like a quarter million dollars of cameras and lenses floating around there sometimes (maybe 100 photographers with an average of $2,500 plus of equipment each).

An absolutely amazing thing to see, and I'm not even discussing the dawn ascents of tens of thousands of waterbirds...

John P.

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Camo lenses :biggrin: :cool: 
    The darned eagle is probably intentionally taunting them, thinking "How many people can I get to show up before I really have to move?"

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Me to!

I feel so inadequate. :redface: :biggrin: :rolleyes: 

Guess I'm left with the old adage of "show me a wildlife photographer and I'll show you someone with a day job."

Can you say "rationalization." I'm glad you can because after the dinner party I went to tonight I'm not even sure I can say my own name.

Great theme to a thread though Terri!

Neil

7. That is hillarious. Did you see the guy with no lens on his camera..... Oh wait it's just camo, I couldn't see it :smile: . I don't take many eagle photos because there are so many out there already. Granted if an eagle graces me with a show I am happy to burn a few shots on him, but come on those people are nuts!! My perspective is probably a bit off because I usually see an eagle or two a day (they fly the bluff in front of my house), but I would go crazy to get a chance to shoot that elk (nice shot by the way) or any of the other critters running around the park.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. I knew you guys would like these

We were just laughing at how serious they all were. I guess I have seen wildlife my entire life and it is not anything that unusual to me. My dad was an avid hunter and we always had deer or elk hanging in our garage every fall--(sure am glad my husband ISN'T a hunter).

Anyway, I admire all of you who shoot birds for your patience and persistence. Also, for the amount of money you spend for your equipment.

Now maybe you can see why I labeled my thread of my wildlife photos--OK, so I'm not a wildlife photographer. I am definitely not in the league of these folks. We saw this type of photographer all through the park. There were about this many shooting photos of wolves on the other side of the park. Every place there was a heard of buffalo or elk there were hoards of photographers. But, the eagle had the most.

Needless to say, I was impressed by their equipment.

10. That is what I thought, too. It really seemed like that eagle was getting a kick out of all the attention. We were there for about 20 minutes and he didn't move at all.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You blew the highlights on the Eagle's head ;) 

Just kidding ya, Terri! :wink: Thanks for the chuckles this morning Terri. Really enjoyed looking at all these crazies. Boy, a few of the ppl there were seriously undergunned!

13. Including me!! That's why I took the photos of the photographers instead--besides that, I found them more interesting than the eagle. :biggrin:

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    R U Serious???

All of this for one bald eagle?

These folks must be city dwellers :) 

16. We couldn't believe it either. It was sure fun to watch the people.

17. Nice collection of glass! Great idea for a series... Good thinking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.