The reason why DSLRs won't be going anywhere soon...

Last night I just shot an event in the worst lighting ever. Imagine Cheesecake Factory/dim bar type lighting. Event photography is perhaps the biggest weakness of mirrorless cameras. There's just no way an always ON camera sensor will work shooting ultra dim environments. Conditions that require snap focus while never turning OFF your camera because you need to shoot at a moment's notice! Plus you're shooting stopped down, so no need to worry about AF precision because of huge DOF. The infrared beam sync's the AF to lock-on even across a room! If it ain't broken, it doesn't need fixin'!

On a side note: I really need a new pair of flashes, because the SB-900 overheating shutdown sucks! :mad: :D

My D750 fully rigged up for low light work:
dslr_life_web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I think I tend to agree with you there Jonathan.
I bought a Sony A7III to lighten up my load and sell my D3S and related lenses.
The Sony is great for outdoor and some indoor. Video is fantastic.
I have sold my lenses with the exception of my 28-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 VR1.
For what little I can sell my D3S and lenses for I'm actually thinking about keeping them.
My D3S only has 12,000 clicks but my 28-70 has a squeak when focusing but works great.
If anything I may sell the 70-200 and just use my 28-70.
It actually was my workhorse.
More photos with it than any other of my lenses.

I think I tend to agree with you there Jonathan.
I bought a Sony A7III to lighten up my load and sell my D3S and related lenses.
The Sony is great for outdoor and some indoor. Video is fantastic.
I have sold my lenses with the exception of my 28-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 VR1.
For what little I can sell my D3S and lenses for I'm actually thinking about keeping them.
My D3S only has 12,000 clicks but my 28-70 has a squeak when focusing but works great.
If anything I may sell the 70-200 and just use my 28-70.
It actually was my workhorse.
More photos with it than any other of my lenses.
Depends what you shoot. If you shoot lots of content that requires you to use the advantages of your D3S and 28-70mm, by all means keep it. On the other hand, if it's not being used you can sell it to help fund additional gear for your A7III.

There's just some areas where DSLRs excel, but other areas where mirrorless is much better. I just see it as using the best tool for the job!

I think its worth more to me keeping than selling them for what I will be able to get.
If anything, I may part with the 70-200.
I have never been much of a video person, but the quality of the Sony in that respect is amazing.
Definitely worth keeping just for that purpose.

I am of the opinion that mirrorless is fine for shooting with a tripod, but not so good for moving targets. I realize some of the mirrorless cameras have impressive frame rates, but my opinion is about how the EVF presents things. This week I handled a Z6. It clips the highlights in its display to avoid the problem with streaking when the view is moved. The result is a low contrast unnatural display. I don't have time to deal with that when shooting people moving around on the street or in a large venue. If you have a mirrorless camera and it fits your style, good for you. For me, the vintage 1959 moving mirror still works.

Real Name
David
I had one SB900, pain in the @$$. Eventually replaced it with an SB910. Depending on how you shoot events you might be able to get away with just replacing one at first. I normally shot with 2 cameras on me, wide and telephoto, I only RARELY had a problem if I remembered to put the SB900 on the telephoto body since those shots tended to be slower and more deliberate.

I had one SB900, pain in the @$$. Eventually replaced it with an SB910. Depending on how you shoot events you might be able to get away with just replacing one at first. I normally shot with 2 cameras on me, wide and telephoto, I only RARELY had a problem if I remembered to put the SB900 on the telephoto body since those shots tended to be slower and more deliberate.
I regret selling my SB-800 flashes that were straight workhorses! The SB-900 has more range, but the overheating shutdown is a major flaw. I don't shoot as many events though, and instead I'm thinking of getting some off-camera flashes like the Godox AD200 which I can use cross-platform with the appropriate radio trigger.

Real Name
David
I regret selling my SB-800 flashes that were straight workhorses! The SB-900 has more range, but the overheating shutdown is a major flaw. I don't shoot as many events though, and instead I'm thinking of getting some off-camera flashes like the Godox AD200 which I can use cross-platform with the appropriate radio trigger.
I WISH I had a reason to get a Godox AD200 system. I've been toying with doing more still life, but not in cards right now.

I wish they were available back when I needed them years ago. They would have been SO much easier.

I WISH I had a reason to get a Godox AD200 system. I've been toying with doing more still life, but not in cards right now.

I wish they were available back when I needed them years ago. They would have been SO much easier.
The cool thing is that it works across different platforms, making it truly universal.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom