1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Recipe Thread...Add yours too.

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by J.Alan, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Thanks for reminding me, Sommer!

Whole Wheat Bread and Pizza Dough
    Prep Time: 10 minutes, to add ingredient to bread machine

I usually throw the ingredients into the bread machine on the dough cycle, in the order listed. But traditional methods work well, too.

Makes a 2 pound loaf (ie a lot of dough)

1-3/4 Cups Water
    ¼ Cup Oil (corn or olive oil work equally well)
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    2 Tablespoons Sugar
    2-3/4 to 2-7/8 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (Like King Arthur Brand)
    2 Cups White Bread Flour
    2 Teaspoons Bread Machine Yeast

Set the machine on the dough cycle and start. Depending upon how you measure flour and water, either may need a little adjustment to get the proper consistency. Just make note of what you do for next time.

The dough will have a bit smoother texture if the ingredients are left to sit in the machine for 4 to 8 hours before mixing.

Bread (for one large loaf):

When the dough is done, turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into cylinder (about 14 to 16 inches long). Place diagonally on rectangular cookie sheet. Place in warm area, let rise until double (30 minutes, or so).

Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Use middle rack.

Bake for 25 to 27 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.

Pizza (makes 2 - 12-16 inch round):

I use a pizza stone, on the lowest rack, and preheat for 20 minutes at 500 F. I have tried direct stone cooking, and on a pan on the stone. The pan is neater and easier to handle. The stone, alone, gives a slightly tougher texture.

When the dough is done, turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll out each to fit a very lightly floured pizza pan. Cover with sauce (like Ragu Pizza Quick Traditional) and Mozzarella Cheese (part-skim works best) and other toppings of choice (I like pepperoni and Jimmy Dean sausage).

Bake each pizza for 9 minutes (adjust time to suit your oven).

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I posted this recipe in another thread, but thought I'd add it here as well.

Gazpacho Salad

½ cup real mayo
    ½ cup chopped curly parsley
    1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 ½ cups quartered cherry tomatoes
    2-3 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, diced)
    1/3 cup chopped red onion
    1 medium chopped red or yellow bell pepper (optional…I leave this out)

1. Combine mayo, parsley, hot sauce and salt.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
    3. Cover and refrigerate…it’s better if you make it the night before.

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Hey Leigh, What about the shrimp dish. I loved that.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Sure Rex...that's one of my favorites...particularly because it's sooooo easy!!!
    The measurements can be to your liking, but below is for the size dish I made for the Meet and Greet. I could have doubled it and still not have had enough, I think!!!:smile: :

Shrimp Caeser

2-3 pounds shrimp (cleaned, cooked, cooled)
    2 cans quartered artichoke hearts
    2 cans small black olives
    1 large jar green olives with pimentos
    1 small red onion (sliced thinly)
    1 jar Girard's Caesar Dressing (it's in a triangular shaped jar, available at most supermarkets)

Place all ingredients in a casserole dish and pour the dressing over. It will take the whole jar! Toss to coat and then chill overnight. Serve cold.

5. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    oh yeah, that shrimp dish was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

We got home last evening. I have spent the day catching up on what I have missed here on the Internet. We had several people ask for Faye's Cookie recipe so here it is. It came from our daughter-in-law.

Whopper Cookies

2/3 cup of butter
    1-1/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cup chunky style peanut butter
    6 cups Old-fashioned Oats (not quick oats)
    2 teas. baking soda
    1-1/2 cups raisins
    1 - 12oz package chocolate chips

Melt butter over low heat, blend in sugars, eggs and peanut butter. Mix until smooth. Add baking soda, raisins, chocolate chips and the oats. (Mix will be sticky) Drop on a greased cookie sheet with a medium to large spoon, flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. This makes about two dozen large cookies or more. Enjoy!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow that all sounds just to good:) )

8. Yummm, pizza, salad and dessert recipes in one easy location...that's my kind of meal planning :biggrin:. Thanks for the recipes!!

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I remember these, they are excellant. I'll have to whip up a batch someday soon. Thanks Faye, we appreciate that you shared your recipe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.