The regal Caracara?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

Was an odd day, lots of clouds but pretty strong sun peeking in between made for constantly changing light. Not the best of conditions but when life gives you lemons...you photograph a Caracara.

Ahh, the proud, regal Caracara.......
    original.

....hey, whaddya doin'? Watchit willya?..
    View attachment 103461

okay, okay....I'll move....
    View attachment 103462

alright already!!!! I'm going, I"m going.....
    View attachment 103463

Don't push, c'mon!!
    View attachment 103464

No, no, not the tail feathers.........MOMMY!!!!!!!!
    View attachment 103465

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Outstanding sequence Thomas. It always amazes me to see small birds like this one harassing much larger raptors. I guess it shows how strong their instinct is to protect their young.

Well done.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Amazing shots
    Good catch

4. Thanks Frank, Gale. Was fun to watch. I was rattling off a bunch of shots when the Mockingbird popped in unexpectedly (2nd frame), then I just kept an eye on her and hoped I could capture her next assault.

5. Great series of shots and Very good story

6. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:Great shooting. Where did you encounter this Caracara? Titusville is one of my favorite areas in florida to photograph wildlife. I have a similar Cara cara capture but it was at Viera wetlands.

[​IMG]

7. Great series and a story to boot. I sent a couple days down there in Feb. trying to get some shots of the Caracara with no luck, only to pass one on the side of the I4 on our way home go figure

8. Thanks Gary.

Thanks Bob. This was shot at Viera too.

9. Thanks Gregg. I have actually gone quite a long while without getting any decent shots on this bird. And I go to Viera at least twice a week! :biggrin:
    This time of year is pretty good, now that the juvies can more or less fend for themselves the adults don't have a sense of urgency about them and seem to forage around general areas a little longer. Still need to be in the right place when it happens of course.

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Way to go Thomas! I just wish that one time a raptor would turn around and swat a Mockingbird silly. I don't hate Mockingbirds, just would like to see it. :smile:

11. Awesome, Thomas! Right place, right time, right equipment, right photographer.

12. It would be kinda funny wouldn't it? lol :rolleyes: Would love even more to photograph it as well!

13. Thanks David, happy to have you checking them out!

14. Beautiful Thomas. This is such a great forum with such great shots being posted all the time. Some really gifted, talented & lucky shooters here.

Thanks for sharing

Lil

15. Great sequence Thomas! I just geot one of a red wing vs. Osprey that I haven't processed. Great work!

Jose

16. Thanks Lil.
    Thanks Jose, good to have you back ...for a while at least! lol