The release of P99

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, May 17, 2007.

1. Back in 2005 my friend Sergeant Joe Kennedy was on patrol on one of the New York City reservoirs. It was a late afternoon and if I remember right it was raining. Now back a time before this day I had told Joe that he should carry an old blanket in his patrol car for any emergency he might run into. He thought it a good idea at the time so he did it.
    As he was traveling along (you guessed it) he came on a downed eagle off to the side of the road and soaking wet and starving. Joe called for help on the radio and soon some of the workers arrived and with that blanket they were able to capture this wet, starving and unable to fly eagle.
    It was quickly transported to the Delaware Valley Raptor Center where they went right to work on what they thought was a him. Well as my photos show Pete’s measurements said no it’s a gal. Final out come was it was figured that not being banded it was from out of State and because it was a small bird for a female it would have to have come from the South where the birds are smaller in size.
    So here is a link to a slide show of her release on the Delaware River on a beautiful day in June.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/tags/slide2/show/

I am providing a second link for any one that wants to know how the gender of male – female in eagles is determined.
    http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/MaleVFemale.html

Hope you enjoy.
    Lou
    PS if slides come up small hit the F5 Key

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  2. Is there anything wrong with this slide show of this rehab and release of this eagle as not one person has said it don't work or anything. If there is something wrong with it or if it does not work please tell me.
    Thanks
    Lou

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hey Lou,

I looked at both earlier and they worked fine. I don't know if you put them in any kind of order but they are out of sequence if you did. I went through it twice just to be sure of what was happening. An outstanding story by the way.

The second one was quite an education for me. I knew the female was usually bigger but had never heard of the two measurements that are now used. You commented on a photo of a baby eagle here once and said it looked like a female. I wondered what you saw that made you say that and now I assume you were judging by the beak?

Very educational. Thanks for posting the info and story.

4. Thanks Andy for letting me know it works. Now I posted two links. the first was the link for the show and the second was to explain how the gender is found for the sex of a male/female eagle. If you read that second link by Pete Nye it gives the formular on how it is done. He also explains how this method is used and even gives some samples for school kids as many schools follow this web when the migration north starts back in March. I guess I have confused people with th gender link.

As for my comment on the young eagle yes I did judge from the beak size and shape but I still could be wrong and as of this day and time we only have the formular I posted the link for, which means to be 100% sure you need to have the measurements of the beak and Hallux claw and apply them to the math formular on that link. Thanks for letting me know it works.
    Lou

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Lou,

What I mean't by out of sequence is the first link. The story skips around if you know what I mean? No biggie but I thought I would let you know in case it wasn't supposed to be like that.

6. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Very enjoyable photo journal. Thanks and nice images. I have never seen up close images of a Bald Eagle like the ones you provided.

7. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    It does skip around, but very cool...

8. Thanks, as for the order of the slides you are not the first to tell me this and I can't explain why as the order of photos is as it would be if you were there. First shows the folks arriving with her and than the way things get done to prepare for that toss into the air. I am sorry if I confused anyone else.
    Lou

9. Thank you Scott I certainly hope that day will come for you as some magic will rub off.
    Lou

10. Hi Lisa and thank you. I am sorry the show seems this way as like I said to Andy the photos show the arrival and than all that is done to a bird for a release at the scene as much has been done back at the Center before getting to this point. Again I am sorry if I confused anyone else.
    Lou

11. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Thank you sir, looking forward to it.

12. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Thanks Lou for such a lovely journal! Was it a young chick that was abandoned by its parents? I hope she has already learnt how to hunt!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a great video and pictures are really good.
    Yes it does skip about a bit, but nothing to bother me.
    Thank you again.

Butttttt I still can't tell our pair apart:>)))))lol
    No bands on our pair. Wonderful to see both together

http://www.pbase.com/techwish/image/71518101

14. Hi Tim As you can see from the photos this bird is almost bald (white head & tail) That being the case has to put her about 4 to 4&1/2 years old. No question she is alone and proberly in a strange area to her so it is easy to get in trouble. Many young eagles do and that is the reason only about 20% make it to getting that white head and tail. (About 5 years). She lacked food and was soaked and unable to fly when my friend found her. Had he not been patroling that spot at that time she was a gonner. I am sure she was quite able to take prey for food or she never would have made it to the age she did. Hope this helps.
    Lou
    www.loubuscher.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  15. Thank you Gale. Well if you are having trouble telling the male/female thing I'll see if I have a good photo in my files with a pair together. As Pete Nye's web link describes how it is determined he will also admit he also has made the wrong call on occassions if just looking at a bird. This one was a good example as it was so small for a female. The bands have nothing to do with it as they are placed at random but they are recorded which leg has which band for ID down the line.
    Lou

16. Hi Lou--

Great story. The pictures are great -- I never realized how lond those talons are.

Thanks for sharing the story of a great organization and a caring cop.

PaulC

17. Thank you Paul and yes my friend Joe is now retired (just did it) I sent him the link but have not heard from him yet. There are many people involved in a story like this to happen and Joe was the start of it and that toss into freedom was the finish. Bill and Stephanie Streeter (owners of the Delaware Valley Raptor Center) did a lot of work on P99 as she became known as.
    Lou

18. Gale, as promised I found a good comparison of a pair of eagles. Take note of the one in the rear and the shape of the beak. Seeing the pair together tells me (99%) that is the female as the beak depth is quite visible between both. Two young in the nest than.
    Lou
    PS This photo was a centerfold for a magazine about a year ago. Pretty sexy eagles HAHHHhhh
    504508841_a0ee4b3096_o.

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OK
    So if I am correct the female in my shot is on the right???

Pete also says the southern eagles are smaller...:>))
    Not to make things more difficult.
    How do I know if they were born down here or migrated here..lol
    Thanks again Lou

20. Well Gale the first part of your questionis easy. You got it she is facing the tree trunk.
    Second part Tough!!!
    It is a known fact that birds born in the south are much smaller than the ones born up north. This is not to say they don't look lke eagles as they do very much so. OK I believe you live in Florida so most likely you have mostly resident birds all year as there is no need to migrate. (Food all the time) It is possible for a young bird to migrate south and remain there but for the most part the female will when she hooks up with a mate will nest further from her birth nest than a male will but not useally this far. Quote from my web page Still Soaring
    Males exhibited a definite tendency to establish nesting territories close= to their release site than did females. Males moved an average of only 58 km (36 mi. range 0-146 km, 0-91 mi) while females moved ~~ average nearly 3 times greater, of 161 km (100 mi, range 14-386 km. 9-240 mi). The important lesson here is, if you want nesting eagles close to your release site, favor males. No hacked eagle has been found to be nesting further than 386 km (240 mi) from it release site. In a stright answer to your question -You Don't know. If the State of Florida banded that would be your answer. From the knowledge we here in N.Y. have found from banding 95% of our young and trapped birds is the way we have found much about the eagle and this nesting distance has been derived from this knowledge base. Chances are your egles are Florida or Southern birds from close by. Aren't you glad you ask:biggrin:
    Lou