The Return of Capture NX2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Dano, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Dano

Dano

Mar 30, 2009
    Iowa
    Thom Hogan writes, "DxO just pulled off the coup of the year by picking up the Nik Tools and U-point technology from Google."

DXO calls their new software DXO PhotoLab

The Return of Capture NX2 | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Thom's experience with PhotoLab mirrors my own. This is a great product.

• Like Like x 1
  2. texfoto

texfoto

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    If they make it faster than LR I'll take a look.

3. I read Thom's column yesterday. Today I am trying DXO Photolab. Color me impressed.

Early days, but I may have found my replacement for Lightroom.

The only thing that is slow is exporting. Takes about 30s to export a 24-MPix NEF to jpeg, but that time probably depends on how many adjustments one makes to the NEF file.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If the program embeds a full-size JPEG in the raw file that reflects all of your image adjustments and if you end up liking it a lot, consider getting a free or inexpensive tool that extracts the embedded JPEG faster.

5. I don't think it does that. While making adjustments within the program it shows a preview of what the image will look like. When the image is exported, those adjustments are actually applied, and that is what takes so much time.

At least that is what I think is happening.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    IMHO you definitely do not want any third party writing to a proprietary raw file. As you say the adjustments will be applied to spawn a rendered image and file format will be your choice of JPEG, TIFF or Linear DNG

EDIT:I believe you will find that DXO writes sidecar files as other raw processors storing the edit instructions only it understands they have a .dop suffix

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. Are you referring to Mike's comment?

8. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Yes, sorry my comment was not clear

9. That's my bad. For about the last ten years and until about two weeks ago I was using Nikon's software, which does embed the JPEG in the NEF. I'm so used to that happening that I forgot that of course no third-party software should ever do that.

10. I now must temper my enthusiasm. The U-points don't work like they did in Nikon Capture NX2, and the HSL editor is virtually useless.

11. bper

bper

May 14, 2009
    Yakima WA - USA
    Hi guys - I'll chime in here too. What I have done since I still am shooting with the D5100, it works fine with CNX2. I have downloaded the free copy of the Nik Collection. I do like using some of the parts of it, like Silver Efex Pro and Define. I have found the easy way to do this without Adobe is to make shortcuts for each application (program). I also use Irfanview, so I use "open with" in CNX2 and send a tiff to Irfanview. Then I make irfanview only half screen, so I can see the desktop Nik icons I made. Hold the shift key down and drag and drop the photo on the icon of choice. After making the adjustments in Nik I can send the tiff back to CNX2 if needed or convert it in Irfanview to a jpg.

Maybe there is an easier way to do this without adobe, but it works for me this way. I would recommend everyone that does not have it to download the Nik Collection while it is free, even if you don't use it now. No one knows what the future will hold and you may need it. I have tried NX-D, but don't like all the sidecar files. I have been spoiled with the CNX2 way of doing it. I have also found the link I listed below by Jason O'Dell good reading with some good ideas - Bruce

Using Nik Plug-ins with Capture NX 2 - Jason P. Odell Photography

• Like Like x 1
  12. texfoto

texfoto

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    Wow, I just downloaded the software. This is great. Thanks for brining this up Bruce. I've added it to the options for Capture NX2. I think I'll stick with this setup for now until I figure out which other software to go with in the future. I just don't feel like marrying myself to a subscription service for the next 20 years unless I'm sure it is what I want and need.

13. Enthusiasm back up. U-points work o.k. and the problem with the HSL editor was user error. :shame::oldman:

14. Blame it on the malware . . .:cautious:

15. For many years I’ve been using this small simple piece of free software EditList2(64) that was written by an Aussie that allows you to choose which program that you wanted to open from within CNX2. It allows as many choices as you care to load into it.

Easy to use, once you’re finished editing it in CNX2, just go to “File” -> “Open With” and a dialog box will come up and allow a selection of programs you have entered into it… The only thing is once you’ve finished editing in the selected software, you can then only save it from there, and if you want to reopen it in CNX2, you will have to select the file from within CNX2 to open.

Screen -02.JPG
    You can add or remove programs from this list...
    I don’t think his site is up anymore but I found a link to download the program from nikonians site.

LINK: http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/191195.zip

This is the instruction from the PDF file when you download the program…

‘EditList2’ instructions.
    This program makes it possible to call many ‘Open With’ applications from within Nikon Capture NX2, which only allows you to specify one external editor at a time. You can add up to 12 programs to the list.
    You can use this program to edit photos using the Lightroom versions of any of Nik Software’s programs (eg HDR Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, or DFine.), also Photoshop, Elements, Photomatix, etc., without having to keep changing the ‘Open With’ application in NX2. It also works for Topaz filters, by installing the free Topaz Fusion Express and using that to call any other Topaz filters.

To install the program:
    For 32 bit Windows, unzip the file EditList2.exe into a folder C:\Program Files\EditList,
    For 64 bit Windows, unzip the file EditList2(64).exe into a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\EditList .
    The main difference between this version 2 and the original EditList is that this one has a ‘Setup’ mode which makes it much easier to create and manage your list of programs.
    Note: if you have been using the original EditList program with no problems, leave your EditList.dat file in the folder, and the program will use the information already there when it first opens. If you have been having problems with the EditList.dat file, delete it and the program will create a new empty one, allowing you to add your programs to the list.

To Enter Setup Mode:
    Start the program by directly double clicking on the file ‘EditList2.exe’ or EditList2(64).exe that you have just installed. If the program is started directly (i.e. not from within Capture NX2,) it automatically starts in Setup mode.
    Once in Setup mode, you have the option of Adding programs, Deleting programs or moving a program up or down the list. To Edit, Delete or Move a program, click on it, then select the action. When you have added or changed your programs, Exit and Save the file.

To Use EditList:
    Open Capture NX2 and change the ‘Open With’ application (Edit/Preferences/General ) to
    ‘C:\Program Files\EditList\EditList2.exe’ for 32 bit Windows, or
    ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\EditList\EditList2(64).exe’ for 64 bit Windows.

The only difference between these versions is the name of the folder where it looks for the .dat file.
    You can open a .NEF or jpg or TIFF file, and then click on ‘File/Open with’ and NX2 will open a small window with your list of programs. Double click on your choice and NX2 will convert the file to a tiff and send it to the chosen program for editing. If you have a TIFF file open, NX2 will make a copy of it and send that, so preserving the original. When you have finished editing, Save and Exit.
    The only thing to remember is if you want to continue editing the tiff file in NX2, it will not automatically open the saved tiff file, you will have to do that.

Happy editing!
    David Duncan, Sydney Australia
    david@centreline.net.au

Note: This program is free to be distributed to anyone who finds it useful.
    There are no warranties, express or implied for its use.

16. bper

bper

May 14, 2009
    Yakima WA - USA
    Thank you Wally. I was looking for a program that would do this as CNX2 is very limited in this regard. Capture NX-D will allow you to open many, but it is not NX2. Once again thanks and I will try this little program. Their are lots of smart people out there in programming, but I'm not one of them, The Nik Collection is a powerful piece of software and makes CNX2 much better - Bruce

• Like Like x 1