The Return of the Dirty Thirty.......again.

A few years ago, I had a Sigma Dirty Thirty and loved it on a D300 and D7000. But when I used it on a D5100, the front-focusing issues really bummed me out. The big cameras offered the AF fine tuning that allowed me to really see the full potential of the lens. The D5100 didn't offer the same option. So it was a sad day when, after moving exclusively to full frame cameras, I sold the Thirty.

When I decided to move to a DF, I discovered that the D5300 used the same batteries and cards. It also had built-in WiFi and GPS capabilities, and that sealed the deal with me. I bought one to use as a travel/walkaround camera. I matched it with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Nikon 35 1.8G and was happy...well, almost. The Nikon 35 was a good lens and did what it was supposed to do, but I was never genuinely excited about its output. Then I began reading about the Sigma ART lenses and the available USB dock - and I began looking for a clean used copy.

I found one last week on Ebay. Normally, I don't buy lenses from Ebay sellers, but this was the first 30 ART that I'd seen, so I bit the bullet and bought it. So far, it's spot-on accurate. I like the size and feel of the lens on the D5300, and the OOF renderings are very close to the older version. I haven't bought the dock yet, but I'm sure I will when I find a good price on one.

Has anyone else got the ART version of this lens? If so, what are your thoughts?

Yep. The 35 A is supposed to be the real deal. But it's bigger, heavier, and twice as much (used) as what I paid. I might get one for the Df someday if I can ever pry the 50 off the camera body, but for my purposes, the 30 is all I need.

I think the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a fine inexpensive lens. I used to use it a lot on my grandkids.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I too had the older version and liked it - at least after a trip back to Sigma for adjustment. I recently picked up the new one with the dock but have not felt the need to do any fine tuning. I prefer the slightly wider angle compared to the Nikon 35mm and have thus far been impressed with the IQ of this lens though I haven't had the opportunity to shoot with it extensively.

A shot from New Years eve in north Phoenix, f5.6 so not really pushing the lens to it's limits ;)

Early results wide open have been promising, I'll have to work with it some more and will post some examples.

Hey Bill...got any more shots with the new Dirty Thirty?

I too had the older version and liked it - at least after a trip back to Sigma for adjustment. I recently picked up the new one with the dock but have not felt the need to do any fine tuning. I prefer the slightly wider angle compared to the Nikon 35mm and have thus far been impressed with the IQ of this lens though I haven't had the opportunity to shoot with it extensively.

A shot from New Years eve in north Phoenix, f5.6 so not really pushing the lens to it's limits ;)

Early results wide open have been promising, I'll have to work with it some more and will post some examples.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom