The River, bridges at Calcutta (Kolkata) India

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by SamIAM, Jul 24, 2007.

1. The River:
    The Hooghly River (Bengali হুগলী) is an approximately 150 mile long distributary of the Ganges River in West Bengal, India.
    174659937-L.

The Bridges:
    1) Howrah Bridge was built on 1937. The Cantilever Era was prevailing at that time, and engineers felts that cantilever bridges were more rigid than suspension bridges. This bridge is one of the finest cantilever bridges in the world - great piece of British engineering:

It links the city of Howrah to its twin city of Kolkata.

174647451-L.
    (captured on a hot, muggy and humid summer day).

2) Vidyasagar Setu (commonly known as the Second Howrah Bridge or Second Hooghly Bridge) also links the city of Howrah to its twin city of Kolkata.
    It is a cable-stayed bridge, with a main span of a little over 457 meters, and a deck 35 meters wide. Construction started in 1978 and the bridge was finally inaugurated in October, 1992.

174651905-L.

(Captured from the similar boat seen in the bridge picture before).

3) Vivekananda Setu (also known as Bally Bridge) is a bridge over the Hooghly River in West Bengal, India. It links the city of Howrah, at Bally, to its twin city of Kolkata, at Dakshineswar.
    174650793-L.

4) Dakshineswar is famous for temple of Hindu Goddess Kali and Sri Ramkrishna Paramhansa. The later was a religious teacher and an influential figure in the Bengal Renaissance of the Nineteenth century. His teachings emphasized God-realization as the highest goal of life, love and devotion for God, the oneness of existence, and the harmony of religions.
    174656440-L.

5) Belur Math is the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Mission, an association founded by Swami Vivekananda in 1897.
    174661285-L.

Thanks for viewing

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images.
    Could use some PP levels adj.
    Looks a tad dull and dark here..

The images are great though

3. Sam: gorgeous images you've got here. I like specially the 1st. one. I agree with Gale's suggestion. However, may be you are exactly trying to achive such dull light effect... aren't you?
    Definitevely India is in my whishing list!

4. Very nice captures! :)

5. I agree Gale. I just got PS CS3 yesterday. I will try to work in this area.

6. Thank you Rui. The lighting situation was slightly dull during capture. However, I will try to make slightly better.

If you visit India, do visit Goa. Some excellent Portuguese architecture back to Vasco-da-Gama period and wonderful seashore there.

7. Thank you John.

8. Nice captures Sam, and I appreciate the background you provide, too. Sitting in your neck of the woods today, Perimeter area...

9. Thanks Chris.
    Wow, you are within a mile from my work. Where in Perimeter area? I work in one of the tall brown buildings as you go towards GA 400 on Abernathy Rd from Perimeter mall.

10. Right across 285, 2002 Summit, off Ashwood Dunwoody (exit 29 I think). Big "H" on the bldg...