The Road To Delphi, Greece

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by murreywalker, May 31, 2007.

1. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    I posted this photo several months ago as I was first started with HDR. It was shot with the 18-200.

I used two exposures to come up with the final product. Photomatix is the HDR software used for this shot, and aside from removing telephone poles and wires in the foreground close to the white houses, little to no PP'ing in Photoshop.

Since, I've had a lot of opportunity to learn the software and its limitations, and wanted to share.

Thanks for looking!

original.

2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great shot! This is something I've really wanted to try. Since switching from film to digital last February, my biggest disappointment has been the limited DR. I would love to hear your comments regarding the software you are using and your general observations regarding HDR. Thanks.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice image

4. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    The software I'm using is Photomatix. It is by far the most preferred. Here is a pretty comprehensive explaination of HDR.

http://www.guyjbrown.com/articles/hdr-nov06.pdf

Here is an article on Photomatix.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_a106/essay.html

Personally, I think HDR is in an evolutionary phase. I don't know whether it's life in software form is assured. The current dynamic range offered by the high end DSLRs have not addressed this very well. Only time will tell.

HDR, used properly, enhances a good shot and makes it that much better. But, too often, HDR completely ruins an otherwise acceptable image. Sometimes I find myself going in that direction and have to reel myself in (g).

I can't help but think that the developers of the high end cameras are keenly aware of this issue (limited dynamic range) and are striving to incorporate the benefit of HDR into the CCDs or the firmware.

Hope this helps!

5. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks Gale!

Much appreciated.