The Road to Paradise

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bendheim, Feb 9, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

The Road to Paradise, Mossel Bay South Africa , 2005

[​IMG]

Reserve your View, Mossel Bay South Africa , 2005

I have always liked and been influenced by the work of the New Topographic photographers, a photographic school started by people like Robert Adam, Stephen Shore, Lewis Baltz and Joel Sternfeld. So, when my massive book called "American Prospects" by Joel Sternfeld arrived today all the way from Amazon, I thought I'd post these for fun. For those of you that are not familiar with this sort of stuff and perhaps see it as rather bland, these photographers challenged the traditional views of (mostly American) landscape photography which essentially focused on the pretty (such as Ansel Adams and other pictorialists) - - by presenting a more everyday and realistic view of the American landscape, one which has been tainted by man, rather than the unspoilt nature that we might
    fantazise about. For those of you that might wish to explore this further, the seminal portfolio by Stephen Shore is called "Uncommon Places". Both this and Joel Sternfeld's book are massive beautiful portfolios.

2. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Peter

I go for that kind of landscapes,so common that it;s hardly being noticed by anyone
    It has its beauty though.
    There is a Dutch photographer called Ed van der Elsken who does similar work,have a few books of him,one is called "Eye love you" great title in my opinion.

3. Thanks Hans - I'll check his work out on Amazon and the web. Appreciated!

4. Hi Peter,

Bery intersting post. From now on, I will look at those man-made «view pollutions» differently. Huge potential of photographic exploration indeed. Thanks for bringing this new way od seeing landscapes.

My respect.

5. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I agree with Dao - shots like that can change how we look at the man-made things that populate a landscape.

When I saw the first image it just flashed me straight back to the areas around Brisbane (Australia). There's been massive development there over the past 30 years and it
    s a common sight to see signs like that on similar scrubby landscapes.

If nothing else that image is powerful in how it shows how keen man is to make something luxurious out of a somewhat inhospitable land.

Mind you, no matter how interesting images like these may be and how much they may add a different facet to landscape photography, I still have to say one thing. I HATE POWERLINES WHEN THEY GET IN THE WAY OF MY "PRETTY" SHOTS. :)

Great job as always Peter!

Neil