The Road To State

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by audu67, Jul 13, 2008.

1. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    A few All Star photos from this past week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Curious, what's up with the mound? Astroturf? Looks extremely uncomfortable, and not the safest thing out there. Last thing you want, is your pitcher to have his cleat catch, and break his ankle...

Really like #7, even without the face. Looks great.

3. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Nicely done. I agree with Adrian on those artificial mounds. We have been using them for the last three years here in NJ. I was told they were bought because they can be moved out of the way for softball leagues that used the same fields.
    As a former pitcher, they are absolutely horrible to teach a kid on. Just waiting for someone to back up for a pop-up and tear something in his legs while falling off the back edge.

4. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Adrian,

Many of the fields in Decatur are used for both "player pitch" and "machine pitch". When he younger kids play with the pitching machine the mound is flat and the machine can be set up easily. When the older kids (in this case 9-10 year olds) play the fiberglass mound is wheeled onto the field on a special dolly and setup for player-pitch. The surface is some kind of carpet-like material. You would think that it's not safe but we played the entire game Thursday night with a constant rain. The pitchers never slipped.

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    The "portable" mounds are just a sign of the times...I HATE em. . .

Baseball was meant to be played on dirt and grass - - not plywood.
    But think they should also be playing with wooden bats also.

Just my opinion.

Great photos Donald. Looks like you had a fun week. Congrats and good luck !

6. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Rod,

I feel the same way. Thirty years ago I recall the argument that going to aluminum bats was a cost savings measure for little league. It's hard to a imagine that you could save much money buying these hi-tech bats today. What's the cost of the good old wooden bat?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.