1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Rookery (6 photos)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Well, I've been pm'ing back and forth with one of our new members and this morning, we loaded up the boys and gear and headed out to Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. THEY HAVE A ROOKERY!!!!!!!! When we got there, it was worse than being in a candy store! So many birds, so many different kinds, colors, you name it! I had so many challenges it isn't funny! FIrst, my 300mm was TOO LONG, then my better beamer kept falling off my sb800, then I had tripod height issues, exposure issues, lighting issues, noisy boy issues, then there was the weather - very stormy looking. The best part of the entire trip was meeting Sha-He (hope I got that right!) . He's a very kind, sweet-hearted person and we're already planning a bigger outting with his family along too. He has a little boy the same age as Josh! Okay, I'm gonna shut up and post the pics! I chose 1 of each species that I managed to get a 1/2 decent shot of - one I just couldn't get, but hey, I'm goin back!

cattle egret
    582068880_392a889424_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

babies!
    View attachment 101932

little blue
    View attachment 101933

Ibis? babies in background
    View attachment 101934

black crowned night heron
    View attachment 101935

And the best photo of the day - the photographers! Sha-He is in the stripped shirt, mxmark took the photo.
    View attachment 101936

2. Nice set! You're in heaven!

3. NICE shots, Dianne! Beautiful birdies! I love those babies! What a terrific rookery and opportunity for lots of future shooting.... How neat that you've discovered a rookery and that you've met up with a fellow Cafe member! Methinks you'll be shooting together more often....

4. Thanks Phil! I was shocked at just how small the area is! BUT the variety is there! Next time, I'm gonna use my 70-300 - my 'bazooka jr" was actually too long! :eek: :wink:

Thanks Connie! We certainly had a blast and the cute part was hearing the boys yell "I got a heron" or "I got an egret!" Gotta figure out though why Jimmy's photos are so blurred - he had his little nikon on a tripod! I haven't checked Josh's yet. And oh yeah, you can bet on it - we're going back! Sha-He is a very sweet person and I can hardly wait to meet the rest of his family! The frustrating part was trying to tell the boys that they were scaring the birdies! :confused: :eek: :biggrin:

5. Way to go Dianne

They are all good but the Little blue and Black Crown are over the top good.

6. Thanks Gary! Believe me, I had a tough time of it - lighting, branches, boys, you name it - we had fun though and we'll definitely be going back. One thing for sure, I learned a lot today! Oh, I didn't post the last photo I took of the day - it was "Big Red" having brunch. I was on the wrong side of the tree and so the lighting was terrible. No time to do much before he flew.

7. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    That "little blue" photo is amazing! There's something about it, I can't quite figure it out, but like Gary said, it's over the top good!

Lisa

8. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    These are all VERY nice Dianne. It looks like you found a "hot spot" for birdies.

9. Thanks Lisa! Those little blues were very flighty! I had the hardest time getting just 1 good shot of one!

Thanks Gloria! We do plan on going back - in fact, i'm gonna try to talk the hubby into early Saturday morning! I couldn't believe how many birds, species there were! It was just too much fun! :eek: :biggrin:

10. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Dienne, you are so quick. Already posted the pictures. #4 is White Ibis.

Glad to meet you and your family there. Your two boys are so cute.

11. Thanks! I was so excited to see what I got that was okay enough to post! We all had a ball and enjoyed meeting you - I look forward to when we can get your wife and son with all of us too! Now, let's see of your pics! And thanks too on the boys - they like getting out too.

12. some very nice work and a great family outing as well as meeting a new friend. It is all good

13. Thanks Dave! I guess all things considered, I did okay. I think next time I'll be using my zoom lens instead of the 300mm. And yeppers on meeting a new friend! We all had a great time with Sha He.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awww a rookery. Sure is overwhelming , isn't it:>))))
    Where and what do I shoot first...lolol
    That was my first experience.
    Second time , i kinda got my sences back together.

Nice shots

15. Gale, you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!! We sure had fun though! I wanna go back!!!!!!

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You did pretty darned good Dianne, this is a very nice series of images. If this rookery isn't too far from your home, I hope that you go back often.

17. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Meeting a new friend and photographing birds all in the same outing? Priceless.

You have some very nice images and an even better future opportunity. I'm sure you will be visiting that hotspot again soon. Way to go Diane!

18. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    That blue one is fabulous!!

19. Very nice shots!

20. Thanks, Frank! I think I could have done better though. We definitely plan on going back! If it's not tomorrow, I hope for Saturday morning! That place is just totally overwhelming - like a kid in a candy store - so many different birdies!!!!!!!! WOW, it was a fun day! AND even more special because we met our new friend Sha He!

Thanks! Meeting Sha He was absolutely the Icing on the cake! And to have so many birdies! And so close! I never thought I'd say my 300mm was too long! Nice problem though! LOL!

Thanks! We all had fun!

Thanks! We'll be going again for sure!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.