The Rookery (lots pics)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
It is still a bit early, but things are heating up with a local rookery here in the midwest. Right now, only the Egrets are in the nest and breeding, and building their nests.

My first day at the location, 30 mph winds, thank goodness for VR on the lens, shot mostly handheld due to the steep angles with the tripods, and fly by shots.

D3 and 500VR, no TC, usually f5.6-f6.3, aperture, iso 200, usually neg ev of -.7 or more.

First a nice 2/3 frame fly by, didn't have to do much with this shot at all,

_D3D5957.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another fly by, different bird, heading into the roost area also, a couple in a row, was very pleased on how the D3 tracked through the brush, lock on set to short, but if I kept the focus point on the bird, the camera did it' s job in tough conditions

_D3D6061.JPG

_D3D6064.JPG

A nesting pair swaying in the strong winds, at times the branches would move back and forth over the pair, so timing was crucial to get any shots, many of my shots have branches through the eyes, this evening shot with good light was after one of their numerous "hanky panky" episodes. Very interesting what the mate will do for just a nice stick...:wink:

_D3D6258.JPG

the love offering coming into the nest:

_D3D5927.JPG

Another bird that flew into the roost area fighting the heavy winds in the brushy trees:

_WDJ9083.JPG

A different bird, trying to grab and break off a branch to bring back to the nest, got lucky with the tree sway on grabbing this clear shot.
Note: not one bit of color/wb post work on any of these shots, after resizing, I sharpened for web, no saturation work on any of these pics, minor sharpening on most (except this last one) and cropping, Camera set to Saturation +1, standard setting, sharpening +4, everything else set to normal.
Thanks for looking

out of camera:
_D3D6266.JPG

Special note of thanks to Tim O for his help in shooting on the private property where the rookery is located.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Absolutely super set Wade. Some of the best that I've seen.

Thanks Frank,

I started to do my usual playing and adjusting, but started looking and thought, I should just make this easy on myself, and not worry about WB or anything else except cropping and sharpening after resizing. Granted some of the WB are a touch different due to the time taken, light angle and sky colors do vary a bit, but heck,

It sure was faster processing without all that tweaking. I do note that the D3 files, take a lot less post work than the D300 files. Can't explain it, but they just take less.

Thanks again for your very kind words.

wade

Super Shots Wade!

These are like candy for my eyes. Every shot is a beauty with great detail and sharpness.

Ray

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
These are stunning images. Every one a winner.

thanks so much Reggie, appreciate your words,

Super Shots Wade!

These are like candy for my eyes. Every shot is a beauty with great detail and sharpness.

Ray

thanks Ray, it helped being in the right place too.

Wade, the exposures on these are amazing. Another fantastic set.

Well, I did make some mistakes this day of shooting, forgetting to switch from matrix to center weighted on the D3 for the first 20 minutes I was shooting, which gave me all kinds of exposure problems until I figured out what a dunce I was! Then I was able to get dialed in like I normally shoot.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Absolutely beautiful! I love the pair together.

Hey, thanks Mike, I too like the love pair

Niceseries. The first one is my fav.

Thanks, yes, my favorite flight shot of the day

Great set. You set the bar high for the rest of us, thanks for posting.

Thanks your for the kind words Tom, actually it is the cafe as a whole that sets the bar, and I am happy just to participate.

These look awesome Wade, nice and sharp, sharp, sharp!

Thanks Andreas, and these are the first with the 500 and D3 combo instead of the usual D300/500VR combo

Beautiful set Wade!
Lovely whites, blue bg.
Fred

Thanks Fred

All I can say is SUPER!! Well done my friend...you are going to be a tough act to follow.My face is wind and sunburned after this little outing:tongue: but it was worth it don't you think:biggrin: Again very nicely done. BTW saw a bunch of BCNH last night,they are starting to show up in numbers.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Beautiful series Wade! Love the colors and sharpness.

Thanks Anthony, I do appreciate you taking the time to comment

Beautiful set Wade and appreciate your narrative on each very much. I would agree with you on the D3 image and the PP...love that camera.

Thanks Louis, yes, there is a difference besides iso and crop factor in D3 vs D300, subtle, but there.

Wade

Latest threads

Top Bottom