The royal wedding

congratulations to Prince William
and Kate Middleton.

(The duke and duchess of cambridge)

a wish of happiness and good luck.

Pretty much: the last King who disagreed with Parliament ended his reign approximately 10" shorter than when he started it :biggrin:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
is it correct that they really do not have any power in government but really more just figure heads?

Correct, they have no power. In fact they have agreed not to interfere in any way with government. They sometimes make remarks though.

They are very wealthy, but are also heavily funded by the taxpayer, i.e. Me.

People who don't believe in hereditary rulers, and therefore do not think they should continue to exist are called "republicans", which is a different meaning to that used for the political party in the USA. In fact you could say that all Americans are republicans, as you don't want a King to rule you and fought a war to get rid of one, and you are also all democrats, as you believe in democracy.

PS. Please don't bring politics into this!

I normally am not an early riser but I was up at about 4:45 and enjoyed every minute of watching the festivities. The new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are a lovely young couple who seem well-suited to each other and certainly know each other very well after years of friendship and a deepening romance. This is one big difference, I think, between the current Royal Wedding and the one we saw back in 1981 which didn't have such a happy ending.

It was fun seeing all the women's hats and "fascinators" and their outfits, and of course the traditions and pomp and ceremoniousness of it all were wonderful. The children were a delight and added a touch of charm to the entire thing, although I"m sure that the photographers all wished that the one little girl weren't standing QUITE so close to Catherine when it came time for the Royal Kiss on the balcony....!!

Myself and a number of my mates, went to a local pub to avoid having to watch this at home on TV. As an Aussie, I am over the whole Royals thing. The pub was very full of like minded people. The beer did flow last night!

Cheers
Simon

We can still put it on in a style that impresses the world and me, love it or hate can you imagine what went into this spectacle, not to be political if all you think about in life is the cost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH and I wouldn't have my D3X.

I read somewhere that the wedding cost about 70+million but generated over a billion pounds to the English economy from this wedding...
Not bad for a small family wedding.. Hey..!!!!

Fortunately for us in Oz and seeing my wife was watching from start to finish, it started at a respectable hr, about 6pm Friday night and went through to about 12:30am Saturday morning.
Great to see Kate & William driving from the Palace in and Aston Martin convertible (I think a DB5) with William driving it to the reception...
Now that was neat to see that and them not being in a chauffeur driven limo, it looked like the crowds loved it...

I will say that us Brits are pretty good at the whole pomp and ceremony stuff!

I wish the newlyweds all the very best and just hope the press and media leave them in peace.

:biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom