1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The San Juan Mountains in Infrared

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by JeffKohn, Sep 20, 2008.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I got quite a bit of use out of my IR-modded D70 on our last vacation. Still getting the hang of what works and doesn't in IR; sometimes getting some tonal separation in foliage and such can be a challenge. I think what I find interesting are the images that have both light and shadow, as the contrast between them can be striking in IR.

The full gallery is here, with a total of 9 images (all EXIF and lens info available in the gallery). Here are a few from the gallery, as always C&C is welcomed and appreciated.

Little Molas Lake
    (Pano, click here or on image for larger version)
    large.

Mountains and Reflection, Molas Lake
    original.
    NIKON D70    ---    70mm    f/10.0    1/40s    ISO 200

Shadow and Light, Molas Lake
    large.

Mineral Creek
    original.
    NIKON D70    ---    70mm    f/11.0    1/60s    ISO 200

View from Hwy 550, North of Molas Pass
    large.

2. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    I really like those! Nice work Jeff :) 

3. Howdy Jeff,

Wonderful series of Pano's, great shooting with the D70, just curious if you've found what makes the optimum shooting for IR? I have found the middle morning to middle afternoon seems to work best for me, of course beautiful scenery and great locations don't hurt:biggrin:

Kindest Regards,

Craig

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    #3 and #4 are my favorite - they are all nice.

Karen

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    CoOokie - thanks for looking, I appreciate the comments.

Craig - thanks. I think mid-to-late morning and afternoon seem to be pretty good. The IR light is strongest at midday of course but there's no direction to the light and the lack of shadows can make some images uninteresting. I guess it depends what you're shooting too.

Karen - thanks for the feedback.

6. Jeff - These are really spectacular. I've been to most of these places, but didn't shoot them in IR. I sure will next time!! I enjoyed browsing your blog, too.

7. Gee you get around lately..

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    David - thanks for the feedback, I appreciate. Nice thing about IR is extends shooting hours since you can shoot at times when color or even regular B/W would not produde good results.

Eric - Lol, yeah I've had some pretty good shooting opportunities this year.

9. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    That's a terrific series. Nice job, thanks for posting them here.

10. Love these photos !! Can't pick which one I like Best ?
    DnA

11. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Wow those are amazing.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    keirin, DnA, and Hamel - thanks, I appreciate the comments.

13. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Those pics are very, very good. I love nr. 3.

14. OdDoF

OdDoF

Sep 12, 2008
    Norway
    Beautiful pictures, Jeff! Great contrast and details. I agree with your comments on light and shadows, the combination of the two gives an extra punch to IR photos. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
    OdDoF

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.