1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The sands of time

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by rodneyr, Sep 11, 2008.

1. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

OK, it is a cheesy title, but what can I say. I took this one on my summer trip at Great Sand Dunes NP in south east Colorado. It was a neat place and the shooting was fun, if a bit stressful with all the sand blowing about. Comments are welcome.

large.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I like it. Why do you feel that it's "cheesy" ??

3. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

the title, not the image.

4. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    It's a nice composition.
    Did you use a polarizer? The blue in the sky seems a bit uneven.

5. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks. No polarizer, as I understand it, they are not recommended for the ultra wide angle lenses.

6. i like this shot, rodney
    it's quite nice

7. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

8. I'm glad you clarified that because the image is beautiful. ( re-read your original post and I see where you said "title". Sorry for my confusion.)

You're right, most ultrawide lenses will give you plenty of blue sky (almost too much at times) but this one is very nice.

9. LeCorbusier

LeCorbusier

Feb 6, 2008
    Texas
    Nice image, what protection or methods did you use to prevent sand from getting into your gear.

10. I really like the division of blue in the upper right and tan in the lower left, with the shadow scar cutting through the middle.

Did you crop this at all?

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I like it. The sky looks almost unreal...

12. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks! I love the Sigma 10-20, I used it a whole bunch this summer and was really pleased with it.Thanks, much the time what I get out of the camera isn't really what I had wanted, but this one is pretty close.

A pure spirit and clean living (still finding sand everywhere :biggrin:)  About all I was able to do was try and keep the gear out of the wind where I could and the lens cap on when shooting. No doubt the environment was hard on both the camera and lens (both pretty much new), on the other hand I purchased them to use so I understand that they will have a shorter life than if I babied them.

This image is without cropping, but I sure spent a lot of time on site working on the composition.

13. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks, it was a lot of fun shooting there. I recommend the location to everyone who can get there.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Beautiful composition !

15. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

16. like it very much the title also

17. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Any Which Way But Up

Looks like the sun was setting and you're facing north? I love the entire picture. Lot of things happening there. Great job!

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Really like the shot, the dark contrasts, the sky and blue looks great, and I don't mind the dark vs light blue because of the light source. Love the texture and feel to the image, One thing I don't like is the far off mountains, they seem to get in the way of my roving eye, but regardless, that is such a small nit, it is almost not worth a thought.

Well done.

Wade

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.