The sheer beauty of a Nikon Digital camera.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Sep 11, 2005.

1. I got up this morning feeling particulary frisky, so as Pam is in Mallorca visiting her son and his family I thought 'AH' lets start some ultra closeup work. So set everything up, but as the lens is uncoupled from the D2H camera body I obviously did not know what settings to use.
    3 photos later I arrived at the correct camera settings and flash exposure on the SB800 for the reproduction ratio I wanted to start with.( 2X.)
    NOW in the olden days I would have had to try numerous combinations, Made copious notes, then sent the film to Kodak. Waited 14 days for it to be returned, then checked results and repeated all this until I new EXACTLY what all the settings were. Whereas with digital you take a picture, look at it and say. "A little bit more this or a little bit less of that," and there you go. WOW! am I going to have fun today with R:R up to 8X.

I remember the times when I used a PLASTIC DIAL with teeth in it that you moved according to subject, lighting conditions, film speed etc. to get the fstop and speed. NOW this really shows my age.

Best wishes. Bob F.

2. Did I honestly say 6 hours ago that I was feeling frisky?

Well now I am completely knackered. The concentration needed to make sure that you have something in focus at above 3X is ludicrous, and trying to look through a lens that is manually stopped down to f22/f32 makes your eyes water. I am dealing with a depth of field of between 0.5mm and 1mm @ f32 or less at f22.

However the results are great and it has all been worthwhile. Especially as Gt. Britain has won the European Team Three Day Eventing Championships and Zara Phillips, ( Princess Anne's Daughter,) has won the individual gold medal. Sorry I just love horses.

Best wishes Bob F.

3. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA

Hi Bob. All I can say is "wish I were there." I, too, love horses and when I sold my last Arabian, I decided to keep my tack "just in case." Got it out of the closet a couple days ago and old man fungus is working on it, so I must remember how to use saddle soap and neatsfoot oil. My, it's been 13 years and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't want to own a good horse again. So, I'll keep the tack clean and hope that the opportunity comes my way again because there's no better experience than riding a horse that you have a special relationship with. It's that fall season that really makes you want to hear the rustle of leaves under your horse's hooves.

4. Vandyu. It was fabulous. The setting was Blenheim Place that was home of Winston Churchill and now is his son's.
    The horses were in incredible condition considering that they had done Dressage; a massive Cross Country Course and then finally the Show Jumping round. I was nearly wetting myself with the excitement and tension.

BW. Bob F.

5. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I think the show jumping is the hardest on the horses. The 3-day event really brings out the true winners. Will you be posting any shots from the competition?

6. No, as I was watching it on the television. Funnily enough though Blenheim Palace is only about 7 miles from where I used to live in Oxfordshire before I moved to Cornwall in 1988.

Best wishes. Bob F

7. Looking forward to the images.

8. Unfortunately, there is not much beauty from my 3/04 USA vintage D70 these last days as it seems to have finally succumbed to the infamous GBLOD problem. I was trying to get some shots of our church's ordination of our assistant pastor yesterday, and low and behold ... :Sad: I did manage to get a few decent shots while fumbling on-and-off w/ it working intermittently in M mode, but it looks like even when it worked (sort of), the metering seems dead now. Ugh!

And I have ~3.5 weeks to get it fixed and back in my hands in time for our Disney vacation -- not to mention whatever else I'd want to shoot in between... And of course, this happens after I sold my old Canon G3 too. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005