The Sigma 120-300 2.8 is on the way Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tanglefoot47, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    It will be here next week but I have a Kenko 1.4 will it work ok on this lens? or is it better to get the Sigma and if so which one? I may even try a 2X but that will be a little later.

Thanks
    Mike

2. I had the older version of this converter and if yours is the DG version, I also had the older version of the 120-300. I could get it to focus, which was more than I could say about trying to use the Nikon TC. It was a very sloppy focus though and I didn't find it usuable for why I had the lens. The newer versions may work differently though. I never got the Sigma TC, but it is suppose to work VERY well.

Either way you will enjoy this lens. It is very sharp.

3. Get the sigma tc's.

Phillip.

4. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    I got the Sigma on the way and will sell my new Kenko and then maybe try the 2x as well

5. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    So, you'll probably get this by mid-week...

Hmmm....if my calculations are correct, we should expect to see this 120-300 in the For Sale forums here, FM and Nikonians by no later than, say, Sunday... :biggrin:

Just kidding!

Seriously though, I've often considered buying this lens for the zoom versatility for sports. I've used a friend's a few times and liked it very much. If you do decide to sell it, and if it's a good copy, drop me a line.

6. Shiny

Shiny

May 1, 2006
    London, England
    Hi Mike,

I was going to buy a kenko 1.4 DG teleconverter this month anyway, so if you don't mind sending to the Uk again, please keep me in mind if you decide to sell it.

regards

7. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    LOL you know how many people have asked me to put them on my list? I may have a gold mine here LOL

Oh and I don't think your kidding LOL

8. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa

I sure will I have the Sigma 1.4 coming now and I may want a 2X so I will keep you in mind and I can send to the UK

9. barphoto

barphoto

Jan 25, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Mike,
    I purchased the lesn a 2x and the 1.4. I find no difference in the focus speed and no degradation in picture quality using the 1.4. With the 2x the focus is about 30 to 50% slower and the picture quality is a bit soft, acceptable, but soft. Definately need a tripod with the 2x attached.
    If you wish to see some shots chekc out the Tewksbury Lacrosse games at www.threepairs.photoreflect.com

Barry

10. Sigma EX tc's are notoriously good on their matched lenses and notoriously iffy on everone else's. You'll probably be happier with a Sigma.

11. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    Thanks for sharing looks great

12. I think this lens is next on my list. I just bought a D2x and I think this lens, combined with the D2x HSC mode, would be killer for sports! I shoot dog agility and a 240-600 2.8 would be hard to beat. Please post sample pics when you get the lens.