1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Sigma 150 2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I have been back and forth between the D3, D300, Nikon 300/4 with TC, w/o TC, and the sigma 150 2.8.
    Today I shot the sigma 150 with the D300

I like this lens alot
    It AFs fast enough for BIFs (bees in flight)
    I like the color and contrast also

today was very cloud so these are iso 800-1600 and some as open as f4
    the d300 does very well at higer iso-s in daylight and matches well with the sigma 150

Some larger versions to show the sigma's detail better
    (I have sold all my sigma lenses but I think I will keep this one)
    http://randyr.smugmug.com/photos/326531895_VbNzE-XXL.jpg
    http://randyr.smugmug.com/photos/326534922_prqwZ-XXXL.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice Randy! All outstanding but #2 & #3 are incredible.

3. Very nice. You are doing this all hand held?

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Keith
    yes...i can't shoot this stuff and drag a tripod with me. I am all over the place chasing bugs. It amazes me what people can shoot with a tripod. This is a real balancing act between ISO, aperture and SS. You need to stop the lens down as much as you can and keep a decent SS. These would not have been possible on a cloudy day like today with the D200 (in fact I would have stayed home). The D3 does even better but I miss the reach. I have a set of kenko tubes coming next week so I will try the 300/4 + TC + tubes on the D3 and then just crank up the ISO. I really want some closer shots of these guys

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Larry
    #1 was my fav...it has such a 3d look to it

6. gorgeous shots
    very nicely done

7. Randy, really nice stuff! They're all good - #3 is my favorite. You've inspired me to get off my butt and go try my Sigma 150 today! :) 

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx greg

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Scott
    w/o the grip the d300 + sigma 150 are so much fun to walk around with...hard to believe it's 150mm & 2.8 it's so small and light

10. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    How does that lens handle for "normal" shots, ie; portraits or street candids? It looks to be very sharp and has nice full colors.

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i never used it for anything but this
    not sure i ever shot it at 2.8

12. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Whoa, Randy! Those are something else...

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow Randy ..these are beautiful, hard to pick a fave!

14. I had to send my 18-200VR back to Nikon so the Sigma 150 was my main lens for a few weeks:

2406691837_240fb7148f_b.

2301431381_0309422376_b.

Randy Great macro shots - superb!

15. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    My favorite

Fantastic shots, #1 is my favorite.

The Sigma 150 is a wonderful and unique lens.

Here are some of mine. This is my first time trying to post pics, hope it works.

Clytrinae%20Lachnaia.

crab%20spider.

D30_1078.

16. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Randy,
    Wow! Very nice. If you get a chance........ am curious if you shot these as jpg or NEF. If raw, what kind of PP did you have to do?

17. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Phillip

thx Mark

thx John

thx Luis

thx
    NEF...very little PP
    many were underexposed (on purpose) so I bumped EV on some and/or used d-lighting
    Some got a 5%-9% color boost in NX and all got 22-29 USM in NX

18. Beautiful! This lens is high on my list. Thanks for sharing.

19. Nice series Randy :cool:  #3 is my favorite because of the eyes.

Looking forward to your captures with the 300/4 + tube(s). I don't like dragging around a tripod while chasing bugs, but a monopod can be handy.

20. I did get off my butt and go out today, armed only with my D300 and Sigma 150. You're right Randy, it makes for a fun package. Very light and comfortable. It's a good thing too, 'cause it was hot and steamy here today. Not even many bugs out. Well, except mosquitos, of course. :Curved:

I did manage to catch this fellow (or is that a girl??) having lunch:

And a couple of interesting plants:

View attachment 222732

View attachment 222733

That last one was some sort of small vine-like thingy. It caught my eye, but I don't know what it is. It had a cattail plant leaf caught, and wasn't going to let go!

Anyway, besides being easy to carry, I love what this Sigma 150 does to backgrounds. It's just a really nice lens overall, and I'm sure glad Cafe'ers talked me into it! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.