The Sigma 24 1.8 goes to Rome

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jczinn, May 5, 2005.

1. Some of you may recall my post asking for recommendations for a low-light lens for my trip to Rome. I settled on the Sigma 24 1.8.

I'm happy with it!

All handheld at F1.8.

Sistine Chapel, Rome: D100, Sigma 24 1.8, F 1.8, 1/8th second ISO 200

[​IMG]

The Pantheon, Rome: F1.8, 1/15th, ISO 500
    [​IMG]

Bar Pantheon, Rome: F1.8, 1/80th, ISO 500
    [​IMG]

Piazza Navona, rome: F1.8 1/20th ISO 500
    [​IMG]

More night shots TK, eventually I post them in the Night Photography gallery. But I am impressed with this lens, for the price (less than $300 used.)

2. Ouch!!!

This is nice Stuff! Almost surreal! Great job! :D

3. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Excellent shots, Janet.

4. Beautiful work.

Looks like a good lens allied to sound technique.

5. Great stuff Janet. I didn't even take my camera out at night when I was there. I love what you got, it gives you another different view of the city from day time shots. Looks like you made a good choice with that lens.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Welcome back Janet!

ok, how's you do it? How'd you amnage to get these shots at such low shutter speeds!? They're all gorgeuos, btw! (would love to see a really wide shot of the Sistine Chapel).

7. Re: Welcome back Janet!

honestly Steve I was surprised myself, especially at the sharpness of the Sistine shot at 1/8th...I wouldn't believe it but its in the Exif!! You'd think it was a VR lens! I've found similar with the Nikon 12-24, though...its very handholdable in low light. Must be the wide angle aspect.

Here's a wider shot that shows more of the chapel (well obviously not technically wider, since its still 24mm, but a different angle.) This shows Michelangeo's Last Judgement.

F1.8, 1/30th, ISO 400

[​IMG]

thanks all for your comments!

8. Definitely nice pics :) I just picked up the 20mm 1.8 myself and like that as well. Not a bad deal for 230$ slightly used :)

9. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Welcome back Janet. Excellent night shots. that lens seems pretty sharp wide open. Nice.
    Will be looking for more of your stuff from Rome. :)

10. Janet, thanks for the memories. I remember walking into the Sistine Chapel. It was crowded, but even so it was as if I was alone in the place, such a feeling. And you have captured it so well.

Given the original 800 I'm sure there are a few more to come :wink:

Too bad I wasn't Digital when I was there, guess I'll have to go back some day.

11. Wow you should be happy with these shots! Amazing! Are you sure it is the lens and not the great photographer behind the camera and lens that is reponsible?

I so bbadly want to see the Sixtine chapel after they clened the paintigs on the cieling, I was there in 82 and it was very dark and dirty

12. thanks all...I am still working on the photos, haven't had much time to do more than a couple a day. At this rate it will take me the rest of the year!! But I hope to post a few more later in the weekend. Right now the spring migration is getting in the way!

Andreas, we were also in Rome back in the mid-80's and at that time most of the chapel was under scaffolding, so we were really excited to see it cleaned now. In fact, all of Rome is so much cleaner now then it was back then...they've cleaned all the monuments (some of which were black!) I'm sure you will get back there again someday soon..

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Some great images in there Janet.

Good job.

I won't ask you if you had a great vacation , cause I know you will say yes.

Thats just great.

14. These are wonderful low-light shots. Have you tried the lens on landscapes ?

By the way, my avatar picture is a shot from Rome - at a little cafe near the Spanish steps.

15. Thanks PA...no, I only used the lens for the low-light stuff because for landscapes I have the Nikon 12-24 and also the 24-120VR so the 24mm setting is covered nicely elsewhere! At some point I might give it a try, though, just to see how it compares.

16. Rome Shots

Hi Janet,
    Your shots are wonderful. It is hard to believe that you can get that sharp at 1/8 sec. Just lovely shots. Thanks for sharing.
    :)

17. I am going to Rome as well very soon. I thought you weren't allowed to take pictures in the Sistine Chapel. Did you really shoot that picture handheld!!?? I am bringing my tripod with me. Are you allowed to bring a tripod in there?

18. Neeper, actually you're not supposed to take photos in the Chapel and I probably shouldn't have posted this one, but I took a couple of pics before I realized you weren't allowed (everyone was snapping away.) The place was rather chaotic, jam-packed--it was the same week the new Pope was elected. I assumed you just couldn't use flash, but I did hear a guard telling people "no photography". When I heard that, I did stop, but not before taking a couple of shots. They came out so well, and were such a good testament for that lens, that I couldn't resist posting them here.

You are allowed to take photos in the rest of the Vatican museum, but I'm sure you can't use a tripod; even if you could, it is WAY too crowded.

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Janet,

Somehow I missed this post the first time around. Absolutely wonderful!! This lens did you very proud. Of course, your knowledge and experience were still required to get the best out of it, and you sure did.

Excellent shots.

20. I sure hope I will get back there soon, please tempt me with more great pictures!