1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The small island of Oaxen

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by ...Daniel..., Apr 20, 2019.

1. Hi!

Im spending easter weekend at the small island Oaxen that is situated in the archipelago south of Stockholm.

Oaxen was for a long time only a limestone quarry but now its a mix of permanent residence and holiday residence, around hundred total residents.

They have saved some structures from the old industry like one lime kiln.

I took a morning walk this morning and felt for some BW conversions of these.

Daniel

1904_namnlöst_001-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1904_namnlöst_009-2.jpg

1904_namnlöst_019-2.jpg

1904_namnlöst_030-2.jpg

1904_namnlöst_031-2.jpg

1904_namnlöst_029-2.jpg

1904_namnlöst_037-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. These are interesting in sepia tone. I would love to see color versions too.

3. A very interesting place. You captured it well.

4. A wonderful series, Daniel!
    Really like the compositions!
    Beautiful and consistent processing as well.

5. Thanks!

Maybe I will give color a chance when i get more time. Somehow this place looks better in monotone imo. Decided for the sepia tone instead for a more neutral high contrast because we have our first really warm spring days right now and for me the tone give a bit more warm appearance.

Thanks Allan!

Thank you so much for your kind words. Im always working with my compositions. I struggle a bit more to be consistent with the processing...

Daniel

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. Gorgeous series of fascinating scenes. Well done!

7. Thanks Mike!

8. Very nice set!

9. Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

10. I like the proceesing--it reminds of a time long ago. Great composition too.

11. Thanks!
    My mother in law, that lives on the Oaxen is really in to local history. Its actually 300 year ago this year when the russians burnt parts of Sweden. They actually passed this Island with their armada but it was just a small rock without buildings so they didnt stop there. But much of the villages and small towns they burned is close by.
    But to be fair the Swedish King Karl the
    twelfth rampaged bits of Russia and all the way down to Turkey. So this was kind of paypack from the russian Tsar for this. They came with a big fleet and around 20 000 men. They came at Stockholm but opted to split in half and attack south and north of our capital city. Sweden defence concentrated on defending Stockholm and kind of left the smaller towns and areas to fend for them self.
    This is a tramautic event in Swedish history and kind of the end of old offensive Sweden with desire of control of vast amount of land.

12. Beautiful set, Daniel, especially in the sepia tones. I also really enjoyed the bit of history.

13. Thanks a lot!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.