1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Smallest and the Largest

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by tojor, Jul 29, 2008.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    The smallest of our dragonflies are the Sympetrum danae and the Sympetrum sanguineum. In fact they are smaller than most damselflies.

S. danae males are yellow when they are young but turn black as they mature.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/10.0    1/125s    ISO 200

S. danae female. Very pretty.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/60s    ISO 400

The S. sanguineum male is also yellow as young but turns red as he matures.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/800s    ISO 250

A S. sanguineum female.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 250

Our largest dragonfly is the Anax Imperator. He is very fascinating to watch. His max speed is about 60 km/h and his acceleration and flying skills are amazing. If I had a car with that kind of acceleration, I would get a lot of speeding tickets. Just to stand and watch him hunt is very fascinating. He doesn't like other males in his territory and immediately attacks any intruder. He is also very hard to photograph as he is very shy and alway hides in the deep grass when he rests. I have spend hours trying to get some good shots of him. Here's a couple of those I've been able to get so far this year.

First his power engine.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/800s    ISO 200

Sometimes even Superman has to rest.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/9.0    1/200s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 200

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 200

There's a half an hour long video about the A. imperator here: http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=33044

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  2. gorgeous shots, torben
    you teach me something everytime you post a thread

thanks

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Torben,
    The Anax Imperator is a beautiful dragon. It does look a lot like its cousin over here the Anax junius. Since that one time I was able to shoot the Anax junius, I haven't seen him again. Very nice shots.

The Sympetrum danae female is a beauty.
    As always, very very nice Torben.

4. Great shots, Torben! I like your terminology - "power engine" :smile:

Cheers

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Greg. It must be my old teaching background that shines through. :smile:

Thanks Paul. The A. imperator is somewhat similar to A. Junius. I think the closest we have to the A. junius in Europe is the A. parthenope.

Thanks Harry. I can't think of a better term than that. :smile:

6. Excellent series, Torben!

Sympetrums are fun to watch, very terrier like, small but peppery.

Emperor is a very impressive Dragon indeed, wish we had them here too. On thursday I´m probably going to see Aeshna crenata, a very similar behaving species which takes the control of large area chasing others away. Very tough flyer, seldom perches... and it´s a bit bigger than Emperor, by the way...and it´s ours :tongue: (well, maybe it´s in Russia too)...

Going to see crenata if I can actually find one, ofcourse. Today I tried to find an Aeshna caerulea for about three hours on a very large bog. I probably saw one as no other Aeshna perches horizontally, but they do and one Aeshna took off from wooden tracks built on the bog just 4 meters ahead...

7. Imperator, WOW! That is just so so awesome. And the shots are even better Torben...

8. Another great set of pictures Torben.

Anax imperator is indeed an impressive beast which is uncannily like our Anax junius as Paul mentioned. We have S. danae over here, too, but I have yet to see one this year.

Cheers,

Larry

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark

Tak Jukka. The Imperator will probably be in Finland within the next couple of years. I think you have put another Aeshna on anabolic steroids and gotten a A. crenata just to have a bigger dragonfly. :tongue:

Thank you Rich. Getting a shot of him is like getting a birthday present.

Thanks Larry. The S. danae has just started to show here too. I saw a lot of immature ones yesterday at the place I go just for them.

10. Another beautiful series, Torben. Where do you find most of your subjects?

11. simply beautiful.

and davidwcramer you indeed live in my dream community. I'd imagine you have a pretty good sampling down by the bosque

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks David. I so lucky to live in area with woods and ponds with a great variety of species. My favorite place is not more than 15 minutes away. In fact it's the same place where I train my dogs in the winter. Lot's of other ponds within half an hour. For the species in streaming water I go to Sweden. A good 2 hours drive from where I live.

Thanks Threecats.

13. Hey Torben, I can only get Wisconsin in a two hour drive and I'm only going from flat land to a little less flatland with corn and cows and strange sports fans!!! sheeeshhh

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I was in Wisconsin 7 years ago near the Kettle Moraine State Forest between West Bend and Plymouth. Beautiful area but it was before I got a digital camera and no time to go dragon hunting. There's a lot of wet areas west of Chicago and up till Milwaukee.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.