The Smartphone vs The Camera Industry By Nasim Mandurov

Everyone’s a photographer now. It’s has taken a lot of the joy out of it for me. When we went to Redfish Lake with the family I took a lot of photos with my Z6. The kids all used their iPhones and posted photos every day. Their photos were all fabulous and captured some great moments. Of course phones have limitations but if a person has a good eye for composition and light the gear used doesn’t make that much difference if you have the focal length you want to use, IMHO. I’m glad I can share photos here with people who appreciate the difference good gear makes.

edit: Just saw this cute photo on Instagram that my daughter took with her iPhone XR this morning. It made me smile and is a really nice photo regardless of the equipment used. I’m grateful she has that nice camera in her phone so I can see this little guy on a regular basis.View attachment 1646545
You are so right, the ability to keep in touch with dear ones across the world is priceless.

I am so impressed by their natural use of drones, video, still cameras, story telling ans script writing as well as their ability to keep on editing while on the move.
Some of the youtube channels (I follow) are as good as what Discovery or the BBC produces, in a cheaper (to produce) and more attractive format.
And it is far from being amateurish, they commit to delivering weekly vlogs, linked with all the social media platforms to ensure they generate the revenues they need to support their lifestyle.
I agree. I watch you tube way more than I watch regular television. I have found some photography channels that I especially love.

Why if I may ask?
I’m not really sure. Maybe it’s just that everywhere you go there are so many cameras. Maybe it’s just that I am getting older and am running out of steam a little, too! We just went to Teton Park today for a drive. Everywhere we pulled off to enjoy the beauty, there were so many people with phones or nicer cameras taking photos. You don’t feel like you are doing something unique or special any more. Enough of that. I do still love the hobby. I think I just can’t do everything that I used to do.

I miss the 1970's when film and processing were expensive and time consuming. And auto-focus modes, and as well, smart exposure meters did not exist. Getting good photos took some skill, and more cash than was reasonable (and a bit of luck). Now, all of us, smart phone or super mirrorless are point and shooters.

I still enjoy my own photography but rarely intrude on anyone to show them mine. They have plenty of their own excellent ones. Remember when the neighbors went on vacation then invited everyone over to watch a slide show? I don't miss those particular days.

My non-photographer son recently spent a week in NYC with a brand new Olympus m4/3rds with its included zoom. His results were as good as anything I could have done with my D750, at least for internet viewing. Some were especially spectacular.

Last edited:
I’m not really sure. Maybe it’s just that everywhere you go there are so many cameras. Maybe it’s just that I am getting older and am running out of steam a little, too! We just went to Teton Park today for a drive. Everywhere we pulled off to enjoy the beauty, there were so many people with phones or nicer cameras taking photos. You don’t feel like you are doing something unique or special any more. Enough of that. I do still love the hobby. I think I just can’t do everything that I used to do.
I remember years ago being the one who always had a camera at birthday parties, holiday parties and other events. When I got the first iPhone back in 2007, friends looked at it with curiosity and some disdain -- a couple of them snickered and tut-tutted that I'd waste money on such a thing when everyone who was anyone used a Blackberry..... Time passed and it was time for a Big Birthday celebration for one of the gang of friends. I watched with a combination of amusement and astonishment as many of the same people who had pooh-poohed the iPhone were now prancing around waving iPhones and other smart phones, snapping selfies and photos of each other, having the best time..... How times change!

Two of my iPhone 6's went for an accidental swim in the washing machine (I can reliably report that they are not water resistant); none of my many SLRs/DSLRs, and range finders ever suffered such an ignominious end.

In defense of my smartphone :) :
After being discharged from hospital this summer I was glad to be able to take a picture of my wound and immediately send it to the consultant who was able to diagnose it in 2 minutes, at 2300 during his night shift.
My DSLR was of no help.
For life saving situations I know which device I am relying on.
The DSLR does not stand a chance.

They invented the microwave too, many years ago, but we still twist on the cook top heat or oven when we want proper/elegent/unique/enjoyable food.
Make the most proper/elegant/unique/enjoyable sauce days ahead of time and warm it up in the microwave immediately before serving it. By the way, I cook the most proper/elegant/unique/enjoyable gorgonzola sauce in the microwave before topping the most proper/elegant/unique/enjoyable filet mignon with it (the meat, as you say, is cooked on the cast iron grill pan). :)

Real Name
Bill
I just did a rendering of the next I-Phone.
The IPhone 12X Pro. It replaces every lens in Nicks bag.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I really enjoyed this video about the cameras on the new iPhones. I got an iPhone 11 last night. I didn't opt for the 11 Pro's. Greg and I bought two phones and that was as much as we wanted to spend.

Congratulations on your new iPhone 11, Terri! What color did you get?

I'm still waiting for the iPhone 11 Pro to come into availability in my local Apple store -- probably it'll be anther week or so -- in the Midnight Green, 256 GB capacity. Looking forward to the new triple cameras setup! I do use the telephoto lens a lot so that is something which is important to me; otherwise I'd probably be very happy with the iPhone 11.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this video about the cameras on the new iPhones. I got an iPhone 11 last night. I didn't opt for the 11 Pro's. Greg and I bought two phones and that was as much as we wanted to spend.

Congratulations on your new iPhone 11, Terri! What color did you get?

I'm still waiting for the iPhone 11 Pro to come into availability in my local Apple store -- probably it'll be anther week or so -- in the Midnight Green, 256 GB capacity. Looking forward to the new triple cameras setup! I do use the telephoto lens a lot so that is something which is important to me; otherwise I'd probably be very happy with the iPhone 11.
I got a red one with 128 GB. We had to start a new line of service for Greg and Verizon gave us a $500 credit for my old iPhone 7 Plus. So we were happy with that.

Real Name
Ian
I got a red one with 128 GB. We had to start a new line of service for Greg and Verizon gave us a $500 credit for my old iPhone 7 Plus. So we were happy with that.
I was going to ask what you did with your 7, since it was supposed to be a hand-me-down. But a $500 trade in credit seems quite fair, plus he won’t have a phone that drops off the supported list in a year or two.

I was going to ask what you did with your 7, since it was supposed to be a hand-me-down. But a $500 trade in credit seems quite fair, plus he won’t have a phone that drops off the supported list in a year or two.
When we found out about the $500 trade in we decided it was a no brainier to get him a new one. It was only a $250 difference.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom