The snail

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pendragon, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Very nice, as always. I don't know if we have any snails that colorful here in the states. Are they common in Belgium?

2. i've seen those shells in escargot appetiser bag :biggrin:.
    great shot, i love the eyes.

laurie

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Cool. I love the way you have the focus on just the eyeballs.

4. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Very fine photo here. Love it! thanks for sharing Jan.

5. This is Cepaea nemoralis, the grove snail or brown-lipped snail.

And yes, they are (as the name says) common around here. The colours of the shell vary a lot. This is the pink version. You don't see them so much in gardens but more in open grasslands.

They are not the well known escargots we like to eat in garlic butter like the french. These are much bigger. The shell can be 5 centimeter. The grove snail is half that big.

6. Great shot Jan. I know the shell colour well and often see them in my garden. I assume it was a Belgian export a few millenia ago !
    180mm focal length...interested to know which lens you used.
    All the best

7. Thanks.

Most of my macro's are made with my [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 XR Di LD [IF] Macro 1:1.

Around here the yellow and brown variety is seen most in gardens.
    In the UK they are domestic I think, just like in the rest of Europe

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I've read you even find them in North America.[/FONT]

8. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Nice shot Jan...

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Very cool play with DOF.