The soft but in focus look

Im sure some of you know what Im talking about when doing portraiture work. There is that soft glow to the image but yet the majority is in focus. Im reluctant to post links to any photos that exhibit this as none are mine and that would be against the rules...

P

PeterRH

You can post a link to a web-page, that's not a problem. Use the 'insert link' tool when composing your message.

It becomes a problem only if you directly link the image to this site, resulting in the content appearing in your post here.

Would need to see some examples but I think I may know what your after, try this:

Complete all normal post processing.

Duplicate background layer (assuming only one layer) Run USM filter, flatten image.

Duplicate b/g layer again, run gaussian blur filter at 30 pixels, set blending to mode to overlay or soft light, reduce opacity to personal taste.

Of course I may be way off the mark as to what your trying to achieve...

Good luck.

Anthony

There are a few ways just off the top of my head....

Use a defocus lens at its extreme setting
Use panty hose over the lens
Blur the K channel

Do you mean like this?

2491650037_97144119e2_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2473814917_6f6233ac27_o.jpg

or this

1714997101_6e668e2637_o.jpg

Do you mean like this?

2491650037_97144119e2_o.jpg

2473814917_6f6233ac27_o.jpg

or this

1714997101_6e668e2637_o.jpg

Would you call these the 'Orton' look or following an 'Orton' style as in Michael Orton ?

P

PeterRH

Or just an application of a couple of photoshop filters with some commonsense application.

Diffuse glow/accented edges/various blur options....no need to assign this 'look' to a style other than whatever you choose to produce in photoshop to satisfy your creativity.

There are a few ways just off the top of my head....

Use a defocus lens at its extreme setting
Use panty hose over the lens
Blur the K channel

I have to ask....

Should I have many different styles in my bag and what to do when the wife askes about all these pantyhose.:biggrin:

In all seriousness, does it matter about the quaility, color and "finish" of the pantyhose?

I have to ask....

Should I have many different styles in my bag and what to do when the wife askes about all these pantyhose.:biggrin:

In all seriousness, does it matter about the quaility, color and "finish" of the pantyhose?

Just make sure they were hers and she doesn't want them anymore.:eek:

Black or white preferred. You can change the effect by how tight or loose it is.

Sounds good Charles, Ill give it a go and see how it goes. Ill also try your other suggestions. Thanks for advice

Everyone finds their own way. One of these may work for you or maybe not. There are a lot of different ways to achieve the task.

Exactly!

IM not familar with Micheal Orton.

How are some of the ways to create this in photoshop?

Thanks in advance

Personally I'm not a fan of this look but I know a lot are.

From the Orton Group on Flickr:

"Orton photos are generated by the overlay of two images of the identical scene. When originated by Michael Orton using slide film, one image is sharply focused and over exposed ~2 stops. The other is very out of focus and over exposed by ~1 stop."

This is some suggestions from a guy called Darren Wiggett:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0106/dw0106-1.html

1 - Open any image you wish to try the technique on. Make a duplicate of the image (Image>Duplicate). Close the original image.

2 - Lighten the image as follows: Image>Apply Image… then in the dialog box that comes up change the bending mode to “Screen” and the Opacity to 100%. This will give you an appropriately overexposed image.

3 - Duplicate this overexposed image (Image>Duplicate).

4 - Blur this second image (Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur… and in the dialog box use a Radius setting of 15 to 50 pixels – the higher the pixel setting the blurrier the photo and the more ‘painterly’ the image… but you can't go too far!). Experiment with different settings, for my tastes a radius of about 25 pixels works perfect.

5 - Now select the move tool from the Photoshop tool bar (or just press “v” on your keyboard for quicker access to the move tool). Hold down the “shift” key and use your mouse to drag and drop the blurry image onto the sharp one (don’t let go of the shift key until after you release the mouse button or the images won’t be in perfect alignment).

6 - Bring up the layers palette in Photoshop (F7 is the keyboard shortcut). Under the word “Layers” in the layers palette will be a menu box of blending modes. Change the blending mode from “normal” to “multiply”.

7 - Now “flatten’ the two layers by pressing “CTRL+E” or by clicking on the sideways triangle in the layers palette to select ‘flatten image’.

Here is another method:

http://pcin.net/update/2006/11/01/the-orton-effect-digital-photography-tip-of-the-week/

Here is a video tutorial:

http://lakehyatttrout.blogspot.com/2007/03/3-layer-orton-video.html

PLEASE NOTE NONE OF THESE LINKS OR METHODS ARE MINE, THE ORIGINAL POSTERS IN THE LINKS SHOULD RECEIVE ALL OF THE CREDIT.

Hope its of some help.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the info, I tried it and it was exactly what I was looking for. Definately adds a mood to the shot IMHO

I like it.

Anthony,
Thanks for posting those instructions and sites. Perfect fit for certain pics.
David

p764762881-5.jpg

p982219050-5.jpg

WalMart sells a very sheer black scarf approximately 24" square under the brand name P with Paris written underneath it. This will give you the effect you are looking for and it is easy to use a rubber band to pull it across the front of your lens.

This link is dead now...

WalMart sells a very sheer black scarf approximately 24" square under the brand name P with Paris written underneath it. This will give you the effect you are looking for and it is easy to use a rubber band to pull it across the front of your lens.
Thanks Gordon, Ill check it out and see if I like it better than the Orton PS method.

L

Loki_D_Wolf

An entire year for 9.99

Very informative thread. Just chiming in to subscribe. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom