The Southernmost Osprey in the continental USA...

Well, just got back from 4 days in Key West with the boss. I shot the H, she shot the D100. On the last day, we had breakfast one block from the marker that indicates the southernmost point in the USA. There are hotels, B&B's and many stores with names such as The Southernmost Hotel, etc. Well, there we are having breakfast on the beach and at the Southernmost Hotel there is a thing like a ships mast right on a point just at it's southern tip, and an osprey resting on it. This is 200-300yds away, but easy to see it was an osprey by how it sits. We finish breakfast, he is still there, soooooooooooo.... I just couldnt help myself. Now osprey are normally shy birds, but this guy let me get so close, I had to take the tc off. He barely gave me a look even when I yelled or whistled at him. Forget flight shots, he wasnt moving till he wanted to, and even at 9:30am the heat index was 104, so I wasnt waiting:

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a couple from Mary:
original.jpg

This is from The Dry Tortuga's Park
original.jpg

more to come...

Harris and Mary,

Wonderful shots.

My old stomping grounds years ago.

Know exactly where you were :>)))

Excellent shots Harris and Mary!! Looks like you had a great little trip. Certainly was successful photographically. :wink:

Gale said:
Harris and Mary,

Wonderful shots.

My old stomping grounds years ago.

Know exactly where you were :>)))

Thats right, you did live there. Sure is a fun place to spend some days. Thanks!

Flew said:
Excellent shots Harris and Mary!! Looks like you had a great little trip. Certainly was successful photographically. :wink:

I want to go back again soon. Just the trip down is loaded with places to shoot.

got to see a Key Deer, an endangered species. For like 7 miles going thru Pine Key there are warning signs about them crossing the road. Went off a side road and saw one, but it went off in a flash into the woods after crossing the road, sorta like those goofy bigfoot footages, no time to shoot a shot.

Harris it looks like you hit the mother load with getting that close to an osprey. When we went to Key West in June all I wanted was to get a picture of an Osprey. No luck, it was not until I returned to Seattle that I got my first osprey and never that close. You nailed the shot and it is so very sharp. Congratulations. Looks like you had one nice trip. We sure enjoyed our stay there as well.

james thiel said:
Harris it looks like you hit the mother load with getting that close to an osprey. When we went to Key West in June all I wanted was to get a picture of an Osprey. No luck, it was not until I returned to Seattle that I got my first osprey and never that close. You nailed the shot and it is so very sharp. Congratulations. Looks like you had one nice trip. We sure enjoyed our stay there as well.

Thanks Jim. Key West is a fun place to shoot and stay, but the best wildlife was on the way and in the Dry Tortugas. I believe it is better there in the fall and spring, but aint it so everywhere? :D

Thanks Ben, I was excited he let me get so close.

Mike, she wants a D200 next. Gonna get her a 24-85 so I dont lose my 17-55

Kevin, I sleep with one eye open with her....:)

Backdoctor said:
Forget flight shots, he wasnt moving till he wanted to, and even at 9:30am the heat index was 104, so I wasnt waiting:
104 at 0930! I wonder if that osprey still uses that metal perch in "the heat of the day"?
Great shots; thanks for sharing.

Damn power outtage!

Had a reply all typed out earlier, then we lost power and the puter rebooted itself, losing the reply in the process. Great shots Harris. The dtail when you're able to get this close is amazing! Tell Mary to keep up the good work too!

Latest threads

Top Bottom