"The Speed of Light" DVD

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by cwilt, Jul 28, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Has anyone else noticed how many times his SB800's signaled for an under-exposure?

If nothing else is has peeked my interest once again into Nikon's CLS. I see myself purchasing 4 more SB800's and Justin Clamps in the near future. :shock:

2. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    I was a little dissapointed in the DVD. It's nothing more than a long commercial. As far as the Justin Clamps go, they don't exist. I called Bogen and you have to make them out of a number of parts - FYI.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
  4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Charles,

What would you be using 4 or 5 sb800's for? Don't get me wrong, the Nikon CLS is a nice system making the use of speedlights a little more idiot proof, but for studio applications, the lack of modeling lights, long recycle times, lack of modifiers far outway me having to meter my lights. and with the lack of a modeling light, I love being able to see where my shadows and highlights are falling.

Just my 2c

Dan

5. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Yes, those clamps do not exist. B&H makes them from various Bogen / Manfrotto parts and sells them. Bogen / Manfrotto doesn't produce that clamp...at least that's what they told me when I showed them the same picture a couple of weeks ago. That explains why they are not shown on their website.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Dan,

I already use 1 SB800 and 3 SB600's for studio lighting. They do have a modeling light of sorts. It is only fired for a few seconds, which is long enough to see shadows and highlights. I have not had any problems with recycle times yet. I use Large, medium, and small soft boxes and umbrellas so I don't see a problem with modifiers. The large soft box is 36" x 48" with two diffusion layers.

The only time my speedlights did not have enough light was when trying macro work at f32, while using the soft boxes.

7. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Charles,

Not that I'm criticizing, I have seen a lot of people go this route. I also started out doing studio work this way, but I have seen so very few that have been successful without a lot of trial and error. When I was shooting this way, I ended up shooting about 30 - 40 percent more images because I was having a hard time getting the look I wanted. Now I able to look at the scene, see exactly where my highlights and shadows fall make a couple of meter readings, set the cam and shoot away keeping my ratio of keepers up a lot higher.

Just one quick question, how fast do the SB 800 and 600's recycle? I have been thinking about picking up a 600 for some of my outdoor work where dragging my mono lights and a battery pack gets a little much for fill flash.

Dan

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Dan,

There is no question that real lights would be better, just not as convinent for me. I would explain that but it would be a long story. :shock:

A lot of this comes from the fact that I like to try different ways. My wife says I like to take the path of the most resistance. :)

On a full discharge with good batteries, probably 4 seconds. This may bother you but speed is not a concern for me.

9. Mine don't seem to take that long to recharge. Of course I'm not rapid firing either. I'm actually surprised at how nice the Speedlights are working out in my home studio. I suspect one day I'll move up to regular strobes but for now, they're perfect. Lack of true, full-time modelling light makes it a bit challenging but not impossible. I like being able to stand behind my camera, talk to the "poser" and dial up/down my lights from there. And the best part is no cords to be tripping over. I've only just begun to scratch the surface of what they can do but they do have their merits.

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Kevin,

What I said was for a full power discharge. For normal work in my dark studio with an aperture of f8 they normally take about 1 second. Thats just a guess though.

Normally I don't use iTTL but prefer to use manual modes and a flash meter to set the ratio.

11. I use three SB-800's for portable lighting that can go anywhere, set up in seconds and get results that can not be acheived with a single flash.

Being able to carry three flashes, camera, and three lenses in one bag, gives a lot of versitility on the road.

12. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Ok, I'm Totally out of my league here... but they tend to recycle at around 2.4 seconds from a spent buffer. I've found my recycle times go up significantly using the PowerEX batteries - that is, I tend not to spend the buffer at all, unless I'm really cranking and that, using just 4 batts, not the 5th batt chamber cover). I also have one sd8a (6aa power pack) that only works with the sb-800 (but not the 600) which can keep you shooting very steady with a single unit - but one needs to take care not to shoot TOO many shots in a row, as you can burn out the flash head.

Moose Peterson is the "man" that lead me to all this great info... here's the page he has with all the info

Hope that helps!

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ya, I ws disappointed in the dvd too. It was nothing more than a showcase for the CLS. The how to's were very few and far between. NOT recommended by me!

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
  15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Lets try this link.

It is a clamp that improves positioning possibilities of flashes when using the CLS.

16. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Since I jsut sold two flashes, I have two of these clamps I will offer for sale if anybody wants.

$50 each shipped via priority.

twig

17. david casius

david casius Guest

go to know...

I was looking at the online preview of the DVD and thought it would be a great way to learn using multible flash with lots of lessons. And even though I dont have any SB-800's or SB-600's I could apply these technics to my other flashes and slaves. Is there something else out there that does a better job?

Thanks

18. On the clamp Front.....
    I'm not sure who makes them but they are made... I just purchase (4) more from my dealer here in Canada for $46.00 Ea. CDN
    They work great for CLS type shots and I could not operate without them.

On the SB800 Front... You are right this system will not replace a studio light set. But boy it's sure nice to have the portability when creating shots like this one taken in 3Ft. of water.

19. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
  20. marc

marc Guest

those clamps are terrific, i use 4 of them all the time

they make setting up hot shoe flashes very easy and convenienent,

they can be used for any flash system, that has a contact attached.

the new nikon su200 remote will work beautifully.

you can place 3 or 4 sb800's around a room, clamp them to curtian rods or any surface that has a lip or edge. and fire wirelessly using su200 on camera.

if cls does not work correctly you can use pocket wizards also,

they are easy and convenient