The state of mirrorless cameras...in LA!

I was at my wife's university graduation today and I was looking at all the cameras at the ceremony. Strangely enough, I saw quite a few GF3 bodies and several NEX cameras. Definitely no Fuji, Olympus or Nikon 1 bodies that I could see. Considering I was at a major Los Angeles university I was thinking I'd see more diversity, but for the most part it was mainly your typical DSLRs, cellphone cameras and iPads/tablets! I guess "serious" mirrorless still has a long way to go even in a major urban city!

KAF_6528.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More pictures on my blog:
http://www.jonathanfriolo.com/2013/06/snapping-snappers.html

Congratulations to you wife - it's a great accomplishment!

I've been to a couple of major (read popular) camera stores in the South West area and found no one who had even heard of u43. I find it interesting that someone who works at a camera store would not have even heard of the format - you'd think they would be better read than that. I've never used an 8x10 or other large format camera, but at least I know what it is.

Around here in San Antonio,
I've only met one other Micro Four Thirds user (GF1) (other than myself) & never seen them "in the wild".

In the wild, I've seen some NEXs and a few Olympus Four Thirds....No Fuji's, No Samsungs, and no Nikon 1s....

I've rarely seen mirrorless cameras in the parks in Orlando.......a NEX here and there, but still totally dominated by Rebels, the smaller DX Nikons, and bridge cameras.

Congratulations to the Mrs. !!

All I see around is the small dslrs.
But, I do have four converts at my workplace. Two EP3s, a G3, and a V1 shooter.

Oh and a D300 guy that laughs at all of us. Little does he know. :biggrin:

At a recent 8th grade concert here, it was like a sea of iPhone 5's being raised.
We'll have to see if this week's moving up ceremony brings out higher end gear.
I'll be going MFT instead of DSLR.

Thanks guys for the kind words! My wife graduating with honors:
130615_AnnaGraduation_13.png

Can you believe they were charging students at my wife's graduation $100 just to get a photo. I was thinking I can make some side cash being a graduation paparazzi! At my wife's grad, I spent most my time circumventing the ushers and campus police in order to get my shot! I think an 80-400 VR-II or 100-300 OIS would be ideal for this type of venue since it was outdoors. I ended up using the 70-200 VRII on the V1 w/o the TC and when I switched to the D800 I'd use the TC on that body.

Here are a couple shots with the V1/FT-1 70-200 combo:
View attachment 1203032

View attachment 1203033

DSC_1882.png

Zoomed in from across the football field:
View attachment 1203045

I do miss the latest gen 16mp sensor from Olympus though. The V1 is definitely the weakest sensor of the mirrorless bunch (probably better than the Pentax Q), but on the flip side, it has ALL the features I could ask for in a mirrorless body, so it's definitely a love/not so love relationship! In order to really extract the best from the V1, you need to use it in it's sweet spot.

Old school Nikon reds:
View attachment 1203047

The colors also differ from the D800 and are more saturated. They're akin to the D1x if I had to compare them. Very punchy reds. Classic Nikon! The D800 is the most neutral of any Nikon body I've used.

View attachment 1203049

Though I did get to put my D800 and a recently acquired 85mm 1.8 G to full use, since I took all of my wife's grad pics. I have to say, I still like shooting FX when the opportunity arises. We did a quick impromptu shoot at the Disney Concert Hall in DTLA. I did see some lady casually shooting her kid with an RX1 and I was telling my wife that little camera cost more than what I paid for my D800 & 85 1.8 G combined!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two great pics of your wife!
Way to go Jonathan, and Mrs. Jonathan!

Your graduation shots look great Johnathan - when my wife graduated, her ceremony was inside - at the time I had the D700 and the 70-200 (first model). I used a SB-800 and was able to get pretty good shots.

Your graduation shots look great Johnathan - when my wife graduated, her ceremony was inside - at the time I had the D700 and the 70-200 (first model). I used a SB-800 and was able to get pretty good shots.

I brought my flash with me, but it probably wasn't necessary since I shot almost everything naturally lit. :smile:

What killed me though, is every time I asked someone to take a shot of my wife and I, they'd either hit the record button on my V1 or just blatantly cut off my legs or something ridiculous! :eek::biggrin:

I brought my flash with me, but it probably wasn't necessary since I shot almost everything naturally lit. :smile:

What killed me though, is every time I asked someone to take a shot of my wife and I, they'd either hit the record button on my V1 or just blatantly cut off my legs or something ridiculous! :eek::biggrin:

and probably put your heads dead center of the scene - without the flash I wouldn't have gotten very good shots - it wasn't exactly daylight in the gym.

Huge Congratulations to your bride. She pulled off the Wonder Woman trifecta.tri-facta plus one.. mother, wife, student, and wage earner. Now it's your turn to get an advanced degree. Have you signed up yet?

Huge Congratulations to your bride. She pulled off the Wonder Woman trifecta.tri-facta plus one.. mother, wife, student, and wage earner. Now it's your turn to get an advanced degree. Have you signed up yet?

I actually got excited going to my wife's graduation. And yeah my wife kicks butt! I actually did sign up to go back to school, though I haven't decided where yet! :wink:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom