The Stopped Down Cream Machince

Nute and I were talking about our luv for the 85/1.4, and the fact that, even stopped down, it does a great job of rendering creamy backgrounds. He volunteered to start a thread for samples, but he must of had a senior moment and forgot :rolleyes:. So here's a few examples.

f/2.8
98225839.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f/3.2
View attachment 216766

f/3.5
View attachment 216767

f/4
View attachment 216768

And it can be used for more than portraits.

View attachment 216769

OK, Nute, let's see some good stuff.

C

cottontop

Encore

This is one of the several Nikkor prime lenses (35-105mm) used by the nation's premier portrait photographers in his (large) studio. He does not seem at all bothered by having to change lenses several times in a session (dust, hassle; better him than me, far far better!).

It's a pretty good bet that his lighting setup calls for stopping down one heck of a lot more than f/4.

Of course, when working in a studio, the background is not an issue.

My point being, that this lens is probably used stopped down even more than you have done here - say f/8 to f/16 - simply because one tends not to change studio lighting once one "gets it right". And I'd like to see what you come up with at f/11

This post is not in any way intended as a criticism of your (mostly outdoor) excellent photographs where background is a constant issue. Finding background without hotspots is an art form blessed by luck.

isn't it a sin to

shoot the 85 1.4 at anything other than 1.4 ? I see so much work @ 1.4 I often wondered if it went down any smaller :tongue:

not much stopping down :( But have an f2 thus far I can show :)

327113944_GSPSE-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While wide open is fun for creativity and sometimes necessary, I will usually stop it down to where I need it given the circumstance.
I believe you limit the usefulness of this lens if you only shoot wide open. Look at it like getting a Ferrari and drive it with the pedal to the floor all the time.

Nice photos, with nice cream.
Well, 85 1.4 will make creamy @ f11, if you get in close to the subject.

Sure, and so will any lens. But to my eye, the Cream Machine does a champ job of it, particlularly with regard to background elements that are in the transitional area. However, that's jmho, and I'd rather stay away from lens comparisons, as they often seem to end in bruised feelings.

I don't own either, but I have to think the differences run deeper than simply an f number.

In this case, not much. The bokeh from the 85/1.4 is undoubtedly smooth, but the 85/1.8 is also fantastic as well. Like Frank said, if you're shooting exclusively at f/5.6-f/11, there's hardly a justifiable reason to pay 3x for the 85/1.4.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Frank and Gary, TY both!!!
Frank, I almost owe you some credit for my (pending to be signed) mag. contract. The Beast and moreover Cream machine helped my imageing immensely and the images taken are what got me noticed. I dof (lol) my cap SIR!

isn't it a sin to shoot the 85 1.4 at anything other than 1.4 ? I see so much work @ 1.4 I often wondered if it went down any smaller :tongue:

Not at all. All comparative samples I've seen have the 85/1.4's bokeh better than the 85/1.8 at f/2.8 and f/4. At least to my eyes and in my opinion -- everyone's perception of good/great/acceptable bokeh is different, and what they're willing to pay for the those perceived differences.

The 1.8's bokeh begins to get rather hexagonal with background light spots at f/2.8, which IMHO contributes to rougher bokeh. The 1.4's bokeh stays relatively circular at f/2.8 and f/4, with a less pronounced outlining effect. The 1.8's aperture blades just don't form a round enough shape at those apertures and it contributes to how bokeh is rendered.

If the 85/1.4 was only better at f/1.4, I wouldn't have bought it. Most of my portraits are not done at f/1.4 -- I leave that specialty to nute, the king of f/1.4.

Most of what I've taken is at f/2, f/2.8, or f/4. Had I found the 85/1.8 to produce results as nice as the 85/1.4, in those apertures, I would definitely have preferred to save the money.

These pages have some direct comparisons that include side-by-side bokeh comparisons at f/2.8 and f/4.

http://www.utopia-photography.ch/lenses/85mm/test03.html

http://www.rbfotografia.com.br/avaliacoes/85_1.8x1.4en_1.htm

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=14955581&changemode=1

Again, at the risk of starting a lens comparison war -- everyone perceives and values bokeh differently, and everyone shoots in different circumstances. Some folks use very controlled backgrounds and bokeh differences in lenses don't matter. Some folks shoot a style that often has distracting backgrounds (e.g. photojournalist-style) and appreciate any help they can get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom