The story of the missing baby Mountain Bluebirds

The story of the missing baby bluebirds.

Got a call from a friend telling me that there were five baby bluebirds in a specific bluebird box, and they had just hatched two days ago. With that news I was off the next morning in hopes of getting lots of adults flying in with food for the chicks.

After driving 150 miles, I was disappointed to find no activity at this specific box. So, I looked in the box and found no babies which was a bit of a shock. I waited around a while and sure enough here the two adults came flying in with bugs in their beaks. They went in and out of the box and flew around the box for the next 3 hours. Thinking this was very strange activity when there were no babies in the box, I decided to take another look thinking maybe I missed something but again no babies.

Not understanding what was going on I just enjoyed all the opportunities of shooting beautiful Mountain Bluebirds at such a close range. As to what happened to the five babies, in talking with my friend the most plausible explanation is that a bull snake got them. Thinking about it now, it is sad knowing what likely happened and watching how confused the adults acted when around the box. That is nature.

DSC03859 72wf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC04044 72wf.jpg

DSC03271-2 72wf.jpg

DSC04144-2 72wf.jpg

DSC04245 72wf.jpg

DSC04000 72wf.jpg

Louie

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
While you create superb images of all species, I do believe I love your bluebird images the most! Can't pick a fav among the first 3.

Very enjoyable set!

My sister-in-law installed a bird house by attaching it to a post on her deck. Snakes usually eat the eggs. A friend of mine had to remove a snake from his bird house. That's because it ate so many eggs that it couldn't get out. So, my guess agrees with yours that a snake ate the young birds you hoped to photograph.

Great great series!! I'm impressed what the A1 and 200-600 can do in your capable hands especially at the long end of the lens. Poor little blue bird babies, even though it is part of life, hate to see these things happen.
Thanks Bob, yes I guess that is nature but it sure was kind of sad to see the state of confusion the adults were in when near the nest.
While you create superb images of all species, I do believe I love your bluebird images the most! Can't pick a fav among the first 3.
Appreciate it Karen, thank you.
Very enjoyable set!

My sister-in-law installed a bird house by attaching it to a post on her deck. Snakes usually eat the eggs. A friend of mine had to remove a snake from his bird house. That's because it ate so many eggs that it couldn't get out. So, my guess agrees with yours that a snake ate the young birds you hoped to photograph.
Thanks Mike, that's what others are telling me as well.

Nice set, Louie. Too bad you missed the other part of the story. That would have made for some great pics as well.

Pretty awesome stuff. Love the Bluebirds.
Thanks Bobby, the Mountain Bluebird is pretty awesome to watch often times they really put on a show for you in feeding their chicks and that is what I was hoping for.
Really like #3. The broad array of shapes and tones in the wings are great. As for the little ones, sad, but it's that whole circle of life kinda thing. Everybody's gotta eat.
Thanks very much Ron.

Real Name
Dan
Wow, Louie. Sad story but awesome set of images. As I get older I'm getting softer and softer about such things. Walt Disney lied to us about what goes on out there.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom